Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test City Style

Thanks everyone! I wanted to work more on it this weekend, but was too tired.

@Valarian - cheers Ian - yes the big blocks are to be reduced into smaller ones, I was getting bored with that part of the process so went to how I would like the final look and feel to be part. the problem is that I am doing the building shapes in a vector program which is now begining to really slow down with the number of shapes it has to deal with.

@Towser - the ocean texture was done with India Ink filters. If you map in photoshop then IMO these filters are a 'must buy' if you are after recreating old textures.

Very considerable, especially these (lakes?).
    However a beautiful style Rav
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Lovely start Ravs. The building shapes evoke an exotic architectural style with cool alley ways, roads and avenues. It seems like a good place to adventure and I like the hatching. All the better to hear its for the CWBP.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Thanks all...I'm still not sure about the shapes. My thinking about fantasy maps is that they should evoke something of what we are used to when seeing a map - hence my ripping off WB Clarke's style - but I think for it to be a good fantasy map it has to have something 'otherwordly' about it. To be honest, I wasn't trying to create something otherworldly, I was trying to get something credible in terms of building distribution, but if it looks like a believable building distribution but not one we've ever seen, then I think I've hit the jackpot - so what Torq says fills me with encouragement.

Here is a small update bringing in new colours and tree symbols (lovingly ripped off WB Clarke's original).

(WB Clarke wherever you are in the hereafter - thank you! - I wonder whether he ever thought people would be singing his praises 100 years after his death?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test city fields.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	10450  

Looking really good. The grass is excellent and workds great.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That grass looks great, not sure about the trees yet. They're cool, for sure, but something looks out of place...side-view trees & top-down buildings...I dunno, maybe it's the scale, maybe it's just me Maybe they'll grow on me. The shapes are very cool, very mystical and non-militaristic; definitely evoking a feeling of "a place I've never seen before". Lookin good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Ascension, you've articulated what I felt was nagging at me but couldn't put my finger on. I think I might depart from WB Clarke's tree style and go for a more overhead view.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

How would Mr. Clarke do a top down tree? Hrm, I dunno, but I know you'll come up with something sweet, as you pretty much always do. Ok, that sounded kind of butt-kissy. Oh well, you know what I mean.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I really like this, ravells. A Long Time Ago, I was experimenting with something similar in CC3, so I shall be following along with interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abbeygreen2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	10526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sepia.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	10527   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	park.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	363.8 KB 
ID:	10528  
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast