Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Disturbing Findings...

That is pretty stupid of him to have done that and then named the album in such a way as to appear that he made those images. I am pretty sure he hasn't made a single one (I recognize things that aren't maps that I know aren't his). I hope we can get him shut down.

Despite my CC license, I discovered a long time ago that people are going to take your work and post it other places without giving attribution. Most of them are probably just ignorant and don't mean any harm, but sometimes you get people who try to claim your work as their own. So I just started putting a copyright on my maps with my website name since most people are too lazy to crop it off.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I've thought about it some, and the thing that gives me the most gas is that they didn't even ask!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    Can't say I'm terribly upset, but I do agree with you, he is an AH.
    One thing thou, it would be cool to have a gallery of EVERY map posted in the finished maps forum. Just to be able to browse around for inspiration without having to go through all the threads would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    We could just post a link to this guys site
    LOL,

Maybe Hoel is right and that we should have thumbs for the images in a page. So shall I knock up a thumbnails scripty thing for finished maps too ?

Arcana asked a while back if we could backdate the TN's for the old challenges before we started doing the TN script. The thing is that with this or finished maps it takes a lot of cross reffing and building up the entry list. If anyone would like to help out in that area then we could get this done no prob.

Hope the script can be embedded into the site at some point then all your thumbs might get updated in a more timely fashion

Being slightly more on topic again, your gonna have to accept that people will nick the images. You could watermark them or something if you feel really upset by it. Only if they start to sell them for any kind of significant profit without permission do I get flustered by it all.

Licensing your image is important.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 02-15-2009 at 11:14 AM.

"None of mine on there... I am disappointed" [2]
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I always hide my name subliminally into everything (color, shapes, patterns, lines, sizes, etc. even if you have to zoom in to 1600% to see it) so that even if no one notices I know its there and its quite hard to crop that out...been doing that since high school. I also sometimes add my name to the saved image name like I do in the challenges but that can be easily renamed but lazy folks forget to.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'd rather not change anything no matter what anyone does.

Perhaps I'll add a 3% high band with some info at the bottom. That way if they want to they can cut it but people who care will have author info if they want it.

Well bad thing, that. It will happen, though.. mostly because out of ignorance folks just post away.

If you take a closer look at the gleemax (WotC) board you might see a certain poster named Leichenreiter politely telling the map-poster to not post maps of others heedlessly, but instead link to the Guild itself. For informations sake, that's my account, and I thought something like this here might be the outcome.

Where was the Photobucket page you spoke about? I doubt it, but was one of my maps online there, too?

Quote Originally Posted by MadLetter View Post
    Well bad thing, that. It will happen, though.. mostly because out of ignorance folks just post away.

If you take a closer look at the gleemax (WotC) board you might see a certain poster named Leichenreiter politely telling the map-poster to not post maps of others heedlessly, but instead link to the Guild itself. For informations sake, that's my account, and I thought something like this here might be the outcome.

Where was the Photobucket page you spoke about? I doubt it, but was one of my maps online there, too?
    I'll show you mine if you show me yours

And by that, Link to the Gleemax post.

Here is the link to the aforementioned Photobucket issue:
    http://s541.photobucket.com/albums/g...kal/?start=140
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Link to the Gleemax Thread in question: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread...1068720&page=4

The relevant post is #94 on page 4.

Edit: Wow, he really does have one of mine online, too. Without any and all reference to the creator of the map.

Edit2: SOmeone said something about licence. Do all works posted here fall under a certain licence or do we need to put the notice up ourselves?
    Last edited by MadLetter; 02-15-2009 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast