Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disturbing Findings...

Post Disturbing Findings...

So, on a whim, I decided to Google some of the names of my maps I've created here, to see if and where they show up.

I was more than a little disturbed to find a Photobucket account "Pictures by Kreenakal" with hundreds of maps - most of them from the CG, including a bunch of mine, but there is no reference to where they came from, or who made them, other than the twisted idea, that this guy "Kreenakal" is the creator. I know I didn't give this guy permission to post my maps. So I sent an Abuse Email to Photobucket regarding that account.

Also curiously I found dozens of CG maps, in Gleemax Forums posted by a non-member of the CG, but I did find that he posted "here's a bunch of maps from the Cartographers' Guild"...

Just for those who use the maps found at the Guild. Most are CC licensed which gives you permission to use in your own personal games. The license does not give you the permission to post elsewhere online, without our express permission. Please, do not do that!

I've got no real problems with posting a map that has a link back to the CG, or to my own site, as long as you make it clear where the map originated and who created it. That's actually what I was seeking to find, when I googled tonight.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Good work GP and thanks for taking the initiative on this. I suppose it's possible that Kreenakal is using photobucket to hold the maps as reference for his own games, but if he wants to do that he should not make the album available for public viewing.

Heh...can't see any of my maps there, don't know if I should be relieved or offended!

Blog Entries

None of mine on there... I am disappointed

Well if he sticks to the CC (SA-BY-NC) where applicable then I don't care. Still its true then each member here makes their own license and without one stated then its not for republishing.

Its also a timely reminder that with a few of Kimmo's art on there by having the CC statement nailed as part of the image the license terms travel with the image. Its not enough that you make a text statement next to the image about its license as people don't take that and re-post it next to the image.

I saw Hoels and Torstans maps there too amongst many others unnamed - if they want to check.

Hmmmm, One of my maps there: City of Seawharf. Page 3.

Don't know if that means its a recent addition, or an old addition
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Damn, that ****es me off...I'm flattered that he likes my stuff, but still a lil tiffed. On the other hand, I didn't see where he claims that he made all of those images and at least he hasn't stuck his name in place of mine. Obviously a lurker here, I'm wondering if there should be a letter of reprimand or something sent to him about banning his IP address. Maybe he should change his album to "pictures FOR kreenakal" instead of "BY kreenakal". With the wealth of pics he's collected, I don't think that there is a sane person who thinks that he made them all.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Probably 75% of every map I've ever posted here is on that guy's site. That's ridiculous!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Can't say I'm terribly upset, but I do agree with you, he is an asshole.
    One thing thou, it would be cool to have a gallery of EVERY map posted in the finished maps forum. Just to be able to browse around for inspiration without having to go through all the threads would be nice.

We could just post a link to this guys site
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

lol.

Thanks for the heads-up, GP. I've requested a take-down of the only image there that I want to reserve rights on, along with a CC license notice on the others that I made. As well as an admonition to give credit where it's due.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I likewise have requested my image taken down. I can't believe someone would be so stupid as to think that they can violate copyrights of tens or even hundreds of people....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast