Thread: Melvous - A port City

Wip Melvous - A port City

Here Is a WIP that I have been at for a while...I keep erasing buildings and roads and adding more land so maybe someday I will finish it, but I am up for some criticism and critique, so feel free! I am sort of going for a "Cozy Cartoonish" feel with this map but still want to put in as much detail as possible. Far from done but This city is known as Melvous and plays an important role in my world known as Dalivean. Also the city lies on River bluffs, which need to be defined better...All in time!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melvous copy.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	10392

Blog Entries

I really like that trees style there - don't touch that, those settings to make that are perfect. I might steal that style if I do a non realistic type of map. Its like pen and ink with full green fill but it has just the right amount of random noise in it to make it look interesting.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yup, gotta agree - the trees are really nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Put me down for another tree style fan!

Thanks for liking my trees! All I did to obtain this tree effect is use a wet brush in photoshop, its the third one down from the top, and put a black stroke on it in the blending options.

*The Brush is called Dry Brush on Towel
    Last edited by Towser; 02-16-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Typos and/or insanity

Here is an update on Melvous:

1. Brightened up the ground
    2. Added a few houses and fixed a couple houses (I am not very happy with these buildings yet nor the road color!)
    3. Changed the river and Ocean colors, and added a creek
    4. Added better looking bluffs that are definitely far from done
    5. Remade the main roads and put a cobblestone texture on them, still not happy with this either.

Obviously this map is far, far, far from done! The gaps in the forest are from my compulsive "redo mentality", and I hope to develop the west a little more with farms and maybe a halfling village, but I plan on carving into the forest in hopes of making the town have that "Nestled up to the forest" type of feel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Melvous copy 2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	10434

Looks good. I LUVE it!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Very nice! I'm usually not a big fan of supersaturated colours, but it works really well here. I'm not sure if it's the right map for this or not, but one idea to make your roads look a bit more 'worn' is to use a layer mask and have the grassy texture poking through or a more muddy texture, or both.