Thread: Maps for Existing Published Adventures

Post Maps for Existing Published Adventures

Would it make sense to have a separate "Maps for Existing Published Adventures" forum?

I ask because I'm in the midst of creating a series of maps for the Scepter Tower of Spellgard, and to keep them organized in the existing forum structure, they'd probably end up being spread through General, Building, Dungeon, Battlemap, and Requests where the project originated.

I'd feel uncomfortable with a forum devoted to stuff for published adventures. Really that should rest with the publishers themselves don't you think?

Incidental stuff is ok but I'd want to support and respect the authors involved for anything organized.

Sigurd

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I'd feel uncomfortable with a forum devoted to stuff for published adventures. Really that should rest with the publishers themselves don't you think?

Incidental stuff is ok but I'd want to support and respect the authors involved for anything organized.
    No no, I mean fan made maps for published adventures. For maps that aren't included, or for props, or battle maps. Not copies of the original material.

Or are you saying that you'd rather see those discussions on the publishers' web sites, and not here?

This is just my .02 by the way.

Fan stuff is great while its incidental. You add a map to a product and mix it in with the other stuff and its as likely to end up being used for alternate purposes as the original adventure.

What would you think of a section filled with additions to published adventures a little ways down the road? It would be a collection of derivative works used to promote CG and beyond the reach of the original publisher.

I'd feel bad if any author felt that the creativity here was acting as a spoiler for their product. I think its a decent idea but I think it should be in closer association with the author\publisher. Let them host it on their website or invite it as a contest or something.

Publishers might be all too happy for the advertising but, I think, I'd want them to say as much first.

Sigurd

again, Just my .02.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 02-11-2009 at 11:44 PM.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re-made maps are likely to run into copyright issues. Everything else, why not just post in the appropriate forums that exist now anyway? It's not like it's hard to keep track of the forums, and as Sigurd says a GM may use a map for other purposes anyway (I know I frequently recycled existing maps for other locations in my campaigns).

I have to say I would be uncomfortable about it as well for the reasons Sigured and Bartmoss give. You could always do a search on the name of your adventure adn if there is a map that relates to it, then it should show up in the results. Also threads can be tagged to enable easier searches by keyword.