Thread: (Unpaid) Cold Northern Coastal Country

Post (Unpaid) Cold Northern Coastal Country

I'm very novice with my CC3 and would like some assistance improving a base map I've done for a county in our setting.

Base Map: Click Here

Information on Country/Region being mapped: Click Here

Alterations to this map: I would prefer to have the area below this country not be blackened out as I did it. This was because I only knew how to place landmass on water at the point that I made it. For information on mapping anything on this below country (entirely optional but man that'd be a nice effect as well), click here. (Overall map of entire setting available here to know where mountains and such go)

The map I made is not totally complete. The named towns are about right, though better symbols for them could be used. The mountain range in the west could possibly be better laid out. Most of the snow/ice symbol that is repeated over and over can be changed to just a basic cold terrain, i just couldn't find a good one. Any other small towns/villages can be added around the place - just keep a cold and/or russian names theme. The lake can be smaller.

I will have the right to use the image for Valgora purposes, the artist will have the right to exhibit the image as part of his portfolio but not to exploit it for commercial gain.

Just a light hobby if someone gets bored. I'll be working on it but from some of the work I've seen loads better can be done.

If other people are bored I'm making maps for each country in our setting, and any help is appreciated. You can read up on each individual country and see their basic borders-size-layout here.

-Hooper

I'm not offering to do the map, but I'd like to comment.

I am assuming that the world is the functioning in the same way as earth and that this time period is a warm period between ice ages. If that is correct then Bludfjords needs fjords. Lots and lots of fjords. It´s currently covered with ice and snow. That means it used to be covered with more ice and that ice would have carved fjords all over the coast. and sharp valleys where the ice didn't manage to carve lower then sea level. Look at pictures of Norway, Iceland, Greenland and the east coast of northern Canada.

Examples:
    http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/g...0.1050.2km.jpg
    http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/g...2.0955.1km.jpg

If your world is not like earth and the ice has been there only for a short time and is there for the first time. Bludfjord is now in the process of gaining steep valleys and fjords.

On the name front. I assume it´s a vikingis sort of place. In that case maby you want to drop the Germanic umlaut and use the Icelandic 'Blóðfyrðir'. Germans where never vikings just Germanic.
    Last edited by gorkamorka; 02-10-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

The name is actually a new addition to the country when it was peacefully overthrown, but great catch. I hadn't even thought of fjords but that is a great idea. Thanks a ton!

Thanks for the info on fjords gorka..
    The road to success is always under construction.

And be sure to sign your fjords with the name "Slartibartfast."
    I think I've had this Deja Vu before...

Quote Originally Posted by sambrookjm View Post
    And be sure to sign your fjords with the name "Slartibartfast."
    That actually made me laugh out loud.
    ---
    Gorkamorka