Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwarf Fortress

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Post Dwarf Fortress

Does anybody else play this game?

It's a spectacular little strategy game where, quite literally, anything goes. If you're into your maps you would probably enjoy this game to no end.
    As long as you play through the tutorial the game's motto rings truer than ever, "losing is fun." Why this is, I have no idea. But you're always looking for some spectacular new way to heroically screw yourself over and you will never know why.

Fun, simple and addictive gameplay at its best and it's totally free.

Get it here.

Learn how to play here.

*rocks back and forth in the fetal position while muttering something about giant cave spiders*
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

OK I officially remember why I stopped playing this game.

NOTHING ELSE GETS DONE!

I've been sat playing solidly since my last post and though I love it more even than WoW it's just far too much of a lifesuck. You begin to talk to your dwarves and even mourn when one of them dies.

I recently started building individual rooms for them and watching them sleep.

O_O
    This game should not be played by those with an addictive personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellsy89 View Post
    OK I officially remember why I stopped playing this game.

NOTHING ELSE GETS DONE!

I've been sat playing solidly since my last post and though I love it more even than WoW it's just far too much of a lifesuck. You begin to talk to your dwarves and even mourn when one of them dies.

I recently started building individual rooms for them and watching them sleep.

O_O
    This game should not be played by those with an addictive personality.
    LOLOL! excellent! Thanks for the (very true to life) laugh!

Blog Entries

Heh - I thought when I checked it out that you could grab the text and push the map through a script to make a better version. I have a kind of thing like that as a web page somewhere ill dig out if people are interested.

Also another little game I tried is DROD - its a block based little game which is about solving each dungeon level. Google it and download - its tiny and again very addictive. You could prob play this on a windows based phone.

That damn game...

Such a terribly wonderful time-sink. I agree that anyone with a cartographic bent can find much to enjoy there. If the ASCII graphics put you off too much, there are some great tilesets available that add a little more personality and readability to the display - such as Mike Mayday's lovingly rendered and compiled version found here - http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

I can honestly say that this game taught me a few things about dungeon design, and emphasizing a connection between form and function.

Requires a bit of a mental commitment though, as the learning curve is a sheer 90 degree cliff face for your first couple of fortresses. Praise be to the wiki.

The engine is wild. But the graphics and keyboard interface is painful.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think that's what turned me off to it, the graphics are very archaic. Though every review of it says it's quite fun.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well it's not for everyone. You see I love text based games and have been playing them so long that DF wasn't hard to pick up and was very enjoyable when I did. Other people don't do so well, primarily those that are more comfortable with graphics based games.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

There are creature/furniture/flora.etc graphics packs for those of you who'd care to play a little more graphically, check the wiki.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast