Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP: Strategy Game Map

Green land, brown hills.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Professional Artist

Thanks folks. Green land, brown hills was basically what the customer is going for too, with some variation in the colors. Here are parts of the almost finished map (some colour changes pending. I can't show you the whole thing unfortunately, for copyright reasons.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like it...but I tell you they'r emuch more impressive with the Hex Grid visible...

Are those black lines with the drop shadow borders also? or roads? If they're roads, I'd lose the drop shadow on them. But I think they may be border given the way they jut up to the red lines. Maybe black is confusing me because I'd expect them to be roads or something.

The color variations on the mountains hills and trees is most impressive...I hardly ever bothered witht he vari-color mountains and trees but here I see how they woudl play in.

The shading on the land is my favorite though.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana
    I like it...but I tell you they'r emuch more impressive with the Hex Grid visible...
    The client will be projecting his own hex grid over the map, that's why I turned it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana
    Are those black lines with the drop shadow borders also? or roads? If they're roads, I'd lose the drop shadow on them. But I think they may be border given the way they jut up to the red lines. Maybe black is confusing me because I'd expect them to be roads or something.
    Province borders as opposed to region borders (the red ones). I'm not so happy with the black either, but that's the client's wish.

Did you just 'smooth' the red hex lines that you had before to produce the new red borders?

Professional Artist

No, that would have looked too uniform. I redrew them, tracing over the hex borders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12