Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Rising up the mountains in Photoshop

I was so glad to find your mapping technique summarised in a tutorial just now that I had to try for myself. The textures I used were largely unmodified textures I made for Half-Life 2 level editing a while ago, so they aren't exactly perfect, and a bit dark to boot, but I think it worked out pretty well regardless.

I'll definitely be using this technique more often.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pasistut_map001.jpg 
Views:	1477 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	11053  
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Hey Flaterectomy, would you mind putting the textures online here?

Also, if it's too dark, try to make use of the technique described inside the tutorial with adjustment layers!

Just toyed around a little with yours (sorry, hope this is okay), just increased brightness and contrast both by roughly +40 and it looks even better when brightened up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pasistut_map001_modified.jpg 
Views:	5522 
Size:	418.6 KB 
ID:	11059  

Those do look smashing actually. Well done all of you!

Thanks and agreed. This tutorial should be honored with an award, really.

Quote Originally Posted by MadLetter View Post
    Hey Flaterectomy, would you mind putting the textures online here?

Also, if it's too dark, try to make use of the technique described inside the tutorial with adjustment layers!

Just toyed around a little with yours (sorry, hope this is okay), just increased brightness and contrast both by roughly +40 and it looks even better when brightened up!
    I'll see if I can augment them in a usable way (all textures used for this map were actually dirt textures, I mearely changed the colour) and upload a pack of terrain textures in the coming days.

I decided against 'post production' editing of my map, because even without fixing these things the basic steps of this tutorial will result in good looking terrain. I do like how you polished up my map though.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Madletter and Flaterectomy you have both created really good looking maps here. Madletter had already started a WIP in Regional/world mapping forum and I really like the way it's proceeding.

I`d love to get my hands on MadLetter`s ground and mountain textures... they look just great! *hint* *hint*?
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.

Actually they are quite easy to obtain, really.

Open Pasis' Tutorial PDF and copy the textures out from there and use Photoshop Pattern-Maker to make a seamless texture of them

Other than that, I also used exactly the settings described inside the tutorial (with the blurred noise layer and the cloud layer, both at 20% opacity).

I also brightened them up a notch or twenty.

Hope that helped!

Quote Originally Posted by MadLetter View Post
    Actually they are quite easy to obtain, really.

Open Pasis' Tutorial PDF and copy the textures out from there and use Photoshop Pattern-Maker to make a seamless texture of them
    Actually that sounds embarrassingly obvious. Thanks
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.

No problem, ever again!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast