Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Rising up the mountains in Photoshop

NymTevlyn

Holy cow. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. This is hands down the easiest way to get mountains exactly where you want them. The only suggestions and alterations I have, are that you should use a rough texture for the mountains that tiles seamlessly and is a neutral grey color so you can paint down textures on top of it to get the exact colors you want and blend it in with the map better.

A friend showed me their map they made using this technique and I was floored. I tried it and these mountains are so simple and easy to create and easy to alter. Just pattern stamp and erase as needed. This is a very interesting use of the bevel/contour/texture features.

Guild Journeyer

Excellent tutorial! Maybe the best mountains I've seen in Photoshop! Thanks for sharing the textures also!

Praise Thanks for Tutorial

I spent an interesting couple of hours working through your tutorial and really appreciated it.

This is the end result.

Sigurd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-1000.png 
Views:	630 
Size:	553.7 KB 
ID:	11835  

Post Thanks you by the tutorial

I enter here searching these techniques precisely for my maps and i get it in this tutorial. I am very happy for this tutorial, ¡¡thanks you very much!! it is just what i was searching. ¡¡Incredible!! ¡¡Thanks!!

Here we have the latest update to version 1.5. In it I have modified few tecniques as I found a bit better way to do them. Also added new stuff to the final touch section and few instruction to do some labeling.
    And thank you all for your kind words and comments, I'm glad you have found this usefull...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrain creation tutorial v1.5.pdf  

Guild Novice

Map

I made this with some different styles. Is it ok?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Emun.jpg 
Views:	767 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	13463  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's pretty nice Mmansen, I'd move that over to a WIP thread and put the finishing touches on it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That map looks beautiful. Unfortunately I can only see the thumbnail! When viewing the full version I get a red cross image.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

The colours of the hills and fields are wonderful but personally I feel the colour of the mountains is out of place. Those reddish mountains would seem more at home in an arid environment in my mind. Maybe a grey colour would look better?
    Still, very nice looking map.

Edit: Oh yeah... really love your marsh effect. Consider yourself repped.
    Last edited by Ramah; 05-21-2009 at 04:23 PM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast