Thread: Map of Valorn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Map of Valorn

Hello everyone.

As i mentioned in my Introduction Post I'm attempting to make a map of the continent of Valorn. This continent is the main playing area for an online RPG called The Dark Grimoire. The game map I'm basing this on is here:

http://www.darkgrimoire.com/storyval.php

Obviously i can't deviate from this too much. The idea is two fold, i want to complete a map in a similar style to Torstans Map of Dolmen Isle. Secondly the map will be cut up into about eight segments so they can be 'given out' in game to players to help them find there way in the game world.

The first thing i did was make a quick map in CC3 to get the positions of the mountains, hills, rivers and settlements in place at a scale so the maps would be correct when cropped into sections:

I then used this as a background layer in Fireworks and began to create the coastline and rivers using a line tool and reshaping it to get nice (hopefully) curves. I used the same technique for the different types of paths and then using a drawing tablet i drew the mountains using some from a previous map. The trees where added next until i was left with progress so far:

The next stage is to add hills which is something I'm struggling with. Any comment about the map would be nice along with any tips for shading hills/mountains and getting the conifer forest in the North East corner to look more realistic.

Thank you for looking.

Korba

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far... the coastline seems almost 'to smooth', (not a ding against your work, just an observation) but if that's intended then no biggie.

Will be watching this one progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks very clean and classic. I like it!

I read "Fartown" and started laughing. I know, it was completely juvenile, but, I guess that's just who I am.

I like the map, it has a good style, and is nice and clean. Great job!

Wow it's been a while!

Still working on this off and on but recently had a bit of a breakthrough. Once again some maps for the same online game mentioned before.

The frontpage image for the eventual interactive map I'm very pleased with:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valorn..jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	22867

Once again Ascension tutorial to the rescue and overlordchuck's parchment!

For the overall map I'm still using my black and white sketch for all the details:

Name:	ValornWhole_New..jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	22866

The breakthrough was combining the two effects and focusing down onto smaller areas of the map:

Name:	dundee..jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	22868

I'm pleased with the coloring but the naming labels need some work so hoping to find inspiration here.

Korba

Made some progress with the labeling and some shading i'm pretty happy with.

Name:	dundee..png 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	23066

The next map in the series is just to the north.

Korba