Thread: A Little Help!!

Help A Little Help!!

Alright, I'm pretty wet behind the ears, but I'm doing pretty good with my regional map. Well, I decided to take a little break, and am now starting on my kingdom's capital. I got my paper, my pencil, sat down, and...proceeded to tap my pencil against the side of my head as I stared at my paper just as blankly as it did to me.
    I have NO idea what I'm doing, or where to start with my city!!

Here are some details:

1) It sits on the point of a peninsula that's jutting into a large lake.
    2) It's the capital of my kingdom (like I pointed out above).
    3) It was originally constructed as a fort, but was made more hospitable as more people sought shelter within its walls from marauding Desert Men.
    4) It's where a lot of the more advanced soldiers (such as the Royal Guard) train, as well as a lot of casters learn.
    5) The Mercenary Corps have their headquarters here. (It's VERY vital to my campaign)

So can someone help me? I'm kinda in a fix here with my group (they're getting a little impatient), and need some help ASAP!

Thanks in advance!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can only help with some pointers at the moment...draw that lake and that peninsula...this will get ya moving. Put a dot where you want your castle/fort to be...then draw some roads that radiate out from there. Draw some rough shapes for where you want the districts (nobles, merchants, peasants, etc.). Put some roads thru those districts then put some more dots down for important places in each area with roads that go around or radiate out from said places. Once this much is done it's nearly finished...just pretty it up. If you need an actual drawing to get you started because you're at a loss for everything...well, then ask someone to draw ya a lake and you can take it from there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Uhh, perhaps I should've mentioned that the peninsula itself is very large.

Here's a link to the kingdom I'm talking about:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4010

The kingdom itself is about the size of Indiana, if that gives you an idea on how large the capital should be.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I suggest you check out some of the city-building tutorials (if you haven't already). I think Pyrandon's in particular would be helpful to you.

it was extremely helpful to me when I did my first few city maps.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.