Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingdom of Gallend

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The other thing to do is to check your undo cache size. Memory use grows like crazy if the undo buffer is too large. One thing I have done is to map the "clear undo history" command to a hotkey so I can quickly free up memory by dumping the undo history when it is convenient.

-Rob A>
    Tried most stuff you suggested and it didn't improve it too much. It's not so bad that I can't deal with it for now. I'll be building a desktop in the near future so hey, maybe that will help it out.

Regardless, I updated the original post. Don't think I'm going to mess with it anymore until after the weekend. Got some dang finals I got to do for my classes by Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by strebalicious View Post
    Tried most stuff you suggested and it didn't improve it too much. It's not so bad that I can't deal with it for now. I'll be building a desktop in the near future so hey, maybe that will help it out.

Regardless, I updated the original post. Don't think I'm going to mess with it anymore until after the weekend. Got some dang finals I got to do for my classes by Saturday.
    Go 64 bit if you can, preferable linux since it's usable right now out of the box. Slam as much ram into the machine as the motherboard(make sure you MB will allow 8 GB or more memory) will allow and you can afford. If your stuck with Windows only, then make sure to get 64 bit version of windows. There is a 64 bit GIMP beta version (does not support python extensions in the install ).

The only issue with 64 bit stuff is legacy and come custom device support. I have not had a problem with most devices, but my son's action replay will not installed since I assume it does not come with a 64 version of the driver needed to transfer data.

Remember, at the very most, 32 bit Windows can give a bit less than 2 GB "tops" to a single program and available memory tops out around 3.2 GB for your all your apps and the user mode OS stuff. The last .8 GB is reserved for device drivers and the OS Kernal and stuff....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

For really large maps I save a new version, flatten the layers and then add the next level of detail. It keeps the image from blowing a lot of RAM on keeping track of layers that I am pretty sure I've finalised. You can always change those layers by going back to an earlier version, editing it and then copying the flattened image forwards to the newer versions. It works well, but is a little bit of a pain.

Post A late post regarding your waterways.

Streb, you have generated a great map. I can only hope mine turns out as well, but (did you know there was a but coming?)...

You have two waterways (NW and SE) that meet the sea (or ocean) at two points. Technically, these are not rivers (but could be channels or straits). A river will begin at a high elevation and flow downhill, to the sea. Your third waterway seems ok, not impossible anyway, but the angle at which the tributaries are flowing into your main river seem to imply that the water is flowing toward the inland lake. Again, the water should be flowing toward the sea. The point at which this middle river meets the sea, it breaks up, and I believe I have seen this before in river delta maps, but one mouth is far more common.

I apologize that my observations are late in coming. I really do think the map is nice, but I am thrown by the waterways every time I look at it. What I would do is widen out the SE way a bit, and clip off the corners of the SE land mass so it appears to be its own island, and call the SE way a Strait or channel. I would lose the NW one altogether. The third waterway (your only river) doesn't absolutely need to be changed, so long as you know the river is flowing to the sea, but you might think about altering the angles of tributaries a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Bitmap Image (2).PNG 
Views:	54 
Size:	680.8 KB 
ID:	10574

I don't mean to be unkind. I can hardly believe the River Police haven't busted you before me. Anyway, keep up the good work and bear the comments in mind going forward (they are meant to be helpful, not critical).
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Mimi

There are definately the makings of a good map here, but I can't help but think that for a map this size the general geography is somewhat lacking in detail. Perhaps you should think like slartibartfast, include more crinkly edges.

I figured I was pushing it with the NW river. That's how I imagined the middle river working. The little leg off to the right (going towards Crossing) was going to be a full fledged tributary, eventually distributing off into the ocean, but I got hung up on how to make it go through the forest so I just gave up on that part. I wanted to make the SE one into a strait more than a river, but I put it in after the land work was done. So I drew it as a river to make it easy on myself. But hey, that's why I posted here, right? To glean knowledge from the more experienced folk. So hey, don't be afraid to tell me it looks like muck if it does. I can take it.

The size of the image, well I'll just chalk that up to inexperience. I wanted something I could print out nice and big without feeling like I lost quality from blowing up a smaller image, I guess. Any guidelines I should follow regarding image size in relation to land size?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

2550 by 3300 isn't excessive by any means. As long as you keep the number of layers under control you should be fine. It'll print out crystal clear on A4 (I'm guessing that's the scale you picked to start off with) and should still look great A3. 150dpi will give you A3 and there's no reason for it not to look really good at that scale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12