Thread: World of Azuyra: The Kingdom of Avencia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post World of Azuyra: The Kingdom of Avencia

Greetings. I've been lurking around these forums for a pretty long time, while working sporadically on my campaign map over the course of a few months. This is done mostly for enjoyment, despite having been used in numerous D&D and MMO games.

Azuyra is a world I've been developing for years, ever since I learned how to customize the map of a very old MMORPG. I've written, rethought, and rewritten countless pieces of information about this world, and these days I'm trying to put it all down to virtual paper in one, finalized format. My first step was to develope the broader scope, concerning the origins of the universe, the making of the world, and the nature of all things divine and arcane. My second step is this map... I find that I'd rather view the relationships of nearby areas on the map, and write about them, than try to make a map from scattered references Ive already written.

Avencia is the largest kingdom, as well as the youngest, settled by the remains of two naval fleets who pursued a pirate fleet across the oceans on a mission of vengeance... it's a long story, but the pirate fleet had sacked and unintentionally razed the ancient city of Genova, the center of art and reason on the southern continent. Genovan architecture and the militaristic influences of Atheron (a nearby country which dispatched the second fleet) have led to a colorful fusion of cultures, cemented over time in the city of Valcora. It's a place where the ingenuity of da vinci meets martial law and modern politics.

Eventually, the Avencians gained further footholds into this sparsely populated land and established settlements further inland. Chief among these settlements is Ironoak, a fortress-turned-city. It was built to control the Firewine River, the longest and widest, and therefore most profitable river on the continent.

In all this represents about 20% of the landmass on the map, which I will hopefully finish by the time I'm 90.

One note for the "river police"; I know there are a number of inaccurate or unlikely representations here. Some of them Im sure Im unaware of. Most, though, I've either got a fantasy reason for, or simply decided not to represent in this limited space. If anything really pops out at you though, feel free to mention it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avencia Final.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	848.6 KB 
ID:	10494  
    Last edited by Ahriman; 02-18-2009 at 05:49 AM.