Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The New Kingdom

Wip The New Kingdom

My players stopped a war this weekend, and as part of the peace negotiations, it was decided that they are going to establish and rule a kingdom of their own. So I had to make another map to show their new kingdom. Towns, cities etc. will be put in place as they decide where they want to build, as well as a name for the kingdom.

So the map is more or less finished already, but I reckon I'll work on it a bit more (the mountains are pretty sketchy, and the new forest pattern isn't quite what I'm after either).

Critique and comments are welcomed!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	det nye landet mindre fil.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	10499

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good to me so far - though I agree that the forests could use a little work.

All-in-all I think your players should be happy.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Btw, does anyone know how you can make a forest brush in Photoshop that doesn't just clutter up the screen?

Take this one for instance:

Name:  trebrush.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  23.3 KB

If I try to use it to make a forest, I end up with this mess:

Name:  kaos.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  32.3 KB

Is there a trick to this I'm not getting, or can it just not be done in Photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by Elvish Presley View Post
    Btw, does anyone know how you can make a forest brush in Photoshop that doesn't just clutter up the screen?

Take this one for instance:

Name:  trebrush.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  23.3 KB

If I try to use it to make a forest, I end up with this mess:

Name:  kaos.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  32.3 KB

Is there a trick to this I'm not getting, or can it just not be done in Photoshop?
    This is a common problem. In GIMP, there is a setting called spacing(set when you save the brush) which controls how close together brush drops when you keep painting. Too small, and the drawn thing looks like a blob of color. In GIMP at least, this setting appears to be something like a percentage offset type thing....

Another option is to create a pattern for the majority of the trees (where you won't see the trunks) and paint that down, and then just lay down your full trees along the front "row". Check out the tutorial by Del on hand drawing(I think thats it...)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

I like your style... Giving a feeling of old time parchment to let your players entering the world they're playing in...
    Really pleasant to read this map, Elvish...

Even if you have that image saved as a brush in Photoshop and you change the spacing you will still have these same issues. The problem is that as a brush in Photoshop, it only recognizes black and white as fill and transparent. Basically taking any white areas and making them transparent when applied as a brush. When stamping your forest brush, any of the trunks and other tree parts that you are brushing over will interfere with where you are going.

If that makes any sense.

As a fix, I recommend creating a new forest image. Create a 1" by 1" square with a PPI of 600. Draw your trees like you have above in a new layer (not on the background itself!) and proceed to fill in any areas that are not filled with black with white.

Save this image!

Then select your move tool and drag it over into your current map. Resize the section with the "transform" tool (ctrl+T) until it is the proper size and apply. Then ctrl+click the newly created layer with your trees to select them. Then Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V. Switch to your move tool and you should be able to move the new layer next to, around, near, or behind your existing trees. You can continue adding to the forest this way simply by doing another Ctrl+V and pasting another new layer of trees and moving them to the desired position.

Remember that since every new layer will be created "Over" the previous layer, it will be easier to work from the top of the image downward. This will help so you don't need to constantly change the layer order to make things look right.

Now to take care of the color because your black and white trees probably look a little goofy if you are doing them on any kind of "parchment" or textured background.

Once you have your forest looking proper on screen, select all of the forest layers (there will probably be a lot) and merge them into a single layer (Ctrl+E.) With the final forest layer simply change the blending mode to "multiply" and the white areas disappear leaving behind only the black tree outlines you created.

I know it seems involved, but once you get the hang of it, it is really quite simple. I haven't found any way to make a brush do the things that I want and have found this method effective. You also have the ability to change individual layer sizes for extra variety with the "transform" tool (Ctrl+T.)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Even if you have that image saved as a brush in Photoshop and you change the spacing you will still have these same issues. The problem is that as a brush in Photoshop, it only recognizes black and white as fill and transparent. Basically taking any white areas and making them transparent when applied as a brush. When stamping your forest brush, any of the trunks and other tree parts that you are brushing over will interfere with where you are going.
    Ah.. I forgot that part since GIMP does not have this limitation, I can have a brush made out of whatever colors I want (or color/alpha shades), so this does not come up..
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Cool map. I especially like the fjord at the top. Looks like a proper fjord should.
    ---
    Gorkamorka

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Following along the lines of what Wag said I went ahead and made a png of your trees (a bit darker and sharper though). Copy this into your map on a new layer then copy this layer and move it around. Continue stacking and moving until happy with the forest shape then merge the layers together. I did a small preview of my result and am attaching the png.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tre.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	10532  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Great tips on the forests, people!

Going to work on the trees tomorrow and see what I end up with....might even have to look into GIMP too, it seems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast