Thread: Arab Street Tiles

Wip Arab Street Tiles

Trying to think of a quick set of encounter tiles for use in an Arabic theme, as in this request in the Map Request Forum... http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...9953#post49953

Just to show some participation, and to help make the point to Paizo, they should give the Guild more respect for what we have to offer them!

Anyway, not that these are really "arabic" in flavor, the walls are kind of mud brick, with a paved stone street. I wouldn't consider these the main thoroughfares in an Arabic city, rather those catacomb like alleys and walking paths that meander off the main avenues. A maze of city structures and walls.

In many ways these emulate dungeon, and could probably be used as those as well, or as city tiles for any large urban back area in any fantasy genre.

For marketing purposes lets just call them "Arabic Tiles", I plan to make some Arabic map objects that could be printed to overhead transparency film with a color laser or color copier. I may yet create an ungridded version for VT.

They are geomorphic in that you can rotate any 10 x 16 tile 180 degrees and the 10' wide passages line up. They are 10 feet wide allowing camel, ox, mule, horse traffic, as well as those on foot, or pulling narrow wagons and carts. I chose 10 x 16 as roads and intersections would be rather tight and busy at standard letter size.

These are each 10 x 16 tiles ready to be printed to cardstock at 11 x 17. These are 200 ppi JPG files. I plan on making 5 to 15 more, the objects and perhaps a few specific location structures - smith, merchant shop, merchant house, the low rent district and perhaps a factory like the spice stamping mill though that might be two 10 x 16's with half on each one.

Though I may put off finishing this with a week or two of other stuff on the schedule - I just thought I'd put something new out!

Enjoy!

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab-street-tile-01.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	534.0 KB 
ID:	10429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab-street-tile-02.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	586.6 KB 
ID:	10430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab-street-tile-03.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	572.4 KB 
ID:	10431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab-street-tile-04.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	547.2 KB 
ID:	10432   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arab-street-tile-05.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	517.6 KB 
ID:	10433  

Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff as always GP...though the fountain in the last one does look a bit like a toilet.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks nice, as always, GP.

One suggestion though would be with the street texture used. When I travel through the middle east and visited the old city quarters, it seemed that almost all the streets were quarried, fitted stone, not cobbles.

They rows almost always seemed to run perpendicular to the corridor. Here is an example of what I mean:

-Rob A>

Post Good to know!

Thanks, RobA, that's good to know! I will update the maps for that, as well as any new ones I create.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations