Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neweastland

Very classy colour sceheme.

I like it. My main criticisms number three:

1. The mountains are good, the coast is good, but they are in stylistic conflict with each other. I prefer your mountains, so I'd suggest you nix the line around your cost and try some noise- sand or something, fading into your land.

Also, you might add some foamy ripples around the edge just for effect. You can do this by:

-Lasso your land, make a new layer, and fill it with black.
    -Your land should look like black blobs (with the black covering it, but don't harm the original of course) Duplicate this layer several times
    -Apply a layer effect- outer glow. Don't use the default curve- use an assortment of custom curves.
    -Use a different curve on each layer. Your outer glow should be white.
    -Flatten the layer effects to the layers (don't merge the layers together though)
    -Set the modes of the black blob plus weird outline to a lighten only mode so your black blob vanishes.
    -layer by layers, take your eraser to the new white outlines around your continent, breaking them up here and there.
    -Finished- snazzy and simple foamy shore waves effect. Blur or apply other filters to taste.

2. Your roads.

Logistically, some of them are too straight (terrain is hilly, and people make mistakes). Also, some of them are nearly parallel- unless the people running each road for some reason don't like to share traffic, many of your main trade routes could be combined. Roads are expensive to upkeep, particularly when you have more than you need.

3. The key. I zoomed in and looked all over for it. Aren't most keys in the bottom right?
    It's floating up there, and that's kind of weird to me...

Anyway, great map
    I'm new here, from conworlds- also an awesome forum for world building.

Mimi

Hnnnnnph. This one was like an unpleasant bowel movement, it was a pain to squeeze out, took far too long and the result is far from satisfactory. Far from a trouble free birth indeed. More like protracted labor with complications. Plus I was really hung over most of today and that didn't help atall.

But taking into account all things said by people here and from the other place I have created this.

So what do you guys reckon?

In before the river police.

EDIT: Forgot the actual map. I am a shining star of brilliance today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4maptestannotwagglan.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	10834  
    Last edited by Mimi; 03-01-2009 at 04:21 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it, looking forward to see where you take this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Real nice! That one section of forest in the middle, we should call that Riverpooluza....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123