Thread: GIMP Script: Save Working Backup

Post GIMP Script: Save Working Backup

I posted this at the gimp plugin registry and at gimptalk, but I know not everyone here looks at those sites.

This is a simple utility script I wrote to help make backups when working on a large maps

There are no parameters.

It will save a backup copy of your active image as [imagename]-YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM.xcf in the same directory as your active image.

If the active image has never been saved, it will pop-up a message stating "The file must be saved before a backup can be made."

It can be easily accessed with Alt-F, B

The script can be downloaded here at the GImp Plugin Registry.

-Rob A>

A little bit of auto-thread-necromancy.
    I've updated the script at the plugin registry to (optionally) restrict the number of files that can get backed up (the default is 5). Changing the value requires a modification to the script code, as explained in the description there.
    Also, the old script only used the filename, so file.jpg and file.png open in the same directory would back up to the same filename. how the extension is also included in the filename.

As a note, I rely on this alot when working with big files in gimp, and it is just an Alt-F,B away...

-Rob A>