Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Modern city

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It already looks great, compared to the original version. Great job!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    J -- yeah man, that's them...I should probably put some parking lots around em. Ooo, and I'll move the baseball stadium to the waterfront for splash down homers.

Whooohoooo! I WIN!!!

Err... what did I win??
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've been taking some time off to play some vanilla Civ 4 so that I can get some ideas about what sort of buildings to add. I'll do up some SimCity and Ceasar 3 as well for my, uh, "research".
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

They are excellent 'research' tools. Maybe see you again in a month or two?

It's looking great. I was wondering about the outlying areas. I think (though this could be nonsense) that houses normally cluster in the valleys around an area - I guess because of the water source. On your it looks like they are very evenly spread, or even more likely to be on the crest of hills?

Looking forward to seeing the next iteration.

Dagnabit, why didn't I think of that?! To be honest, I just did up a noise layer at 2% noise and then deleted everything not white...hoping that it would look random. Guess I gotta put on my "rural housing planning hat" and redo them suckers. Thanks, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Ah ha - I thought they looked a little too even. I'm sure you've still got the heightmap around - surely some combination of the heightmap and the noise layer will give you higher densities in valleys and fewer on the peaks? Sorry for waiting until it was this far along to notice

Yep. I'll copy some of these layers back into the original terrain psd and do the select - color range - fuzzy white and delete some of these suckers. And if I find that I need more in certain areas I'll just use a scatter brush.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234