Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern city

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip Modern city

Here's another frankenstein from my secret lab. I started this last weekend then got sidetracked by other ideas (too many ideas to experiment with) and got back on it tonight. It's all created by me except the fields which are a pattern as are the river ripples and I started off way back in the beginning with the bison grass pattern. I'd like to put in some proper roads, streets, bridges, and highways (tiny as they may be) and some boats on the river and finally work out how to do some clouds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modern city.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	10560  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting idea, will be watching to see what you do with this... here's the tutorial I used on my Magus Aerie for the clouds (or at least I think it's the one), if nothing else I'm sure it will give you some ideas.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

THe terrain looks great but what on earth are the stuff on the river banks?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Agreed. The terrain looks exactly like a plane's-eye-view of the world. The city itself needs work, I think. The denser areas have a grid-like pattern that doesn't seem realistic to me (even modern cities built on a grid-street-system, I think, don't really look like this, and at this level, in a modern city, I think you'd be able to make out individual city blocks and their sky-scraper buildings).

...Actually, I guess that depends on the scale. Had a looksie at Google maps. A big city looks quite a bit different between, say, 1 mile per screen inch-and-a-quarter and 2000 feet per screen 7/8 inch (on a roughly 14-inch monitor on 1280x800 at 96 dpi, for total disclosure).
    Last edited by Karro; 02-20-2009 at 11:04 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Like all have said the city does not seem very realistic, but surely this is a good idea.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I love the blue shifted colours giving a sense of altitude. That terrain is phenomenal. The city needs work, but I'm sure you'll get there.

Mimi

There are no roads? Shouldn't there be roads?
    Last edited by Mimi; 02-20-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi View Post
    There are no roads? Shouldn't there be roads?
    He hasn't added them yet.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think you could do with a more extensive farmland texture. The one you're using is very persuasive, but its dimensions are too small at this scale, resulting in some very obvious tiling repetition.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm probably going to scrap that city in favor of something slightly larger in scale...currently 1 pixel represents a building (no matter the size). I'm going to go in the normal direction and start with roads and then decide later on building scale.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast