Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The world on a cog

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post The world on a cog

So this has been keeping me out of trouble for a while. I was commissioned to produce a world map for a world on a cog, with the elemental planes surrounding it also made of cogs. The elemental planes define the seasons. The map is for a new rpg that is in development. It won't be out for a while, but the developers allowed me to post this now that it is finished. This map remains rights reserved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinalSmall.jpg 
Views:	1588 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	10565

I've posted a small version at web resolution. The full size one has three times this resolution and will print at A1.

If anyone has C&C I'd be more than happy to hear them. This was my first attempt at a world map, and my first attempt at any image of this scale. There are certainly things I will do differently the next time I do this and I'd be grateful for any advice from the people here.

This was created for Jiwei Games: www.jwgames.com
    Last edited by torstan; 05-20-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it looks really good.

The only thing (after a fairly quick look) I think needs to be changed would be to reduce the highlight on the mountains (it's very white and bright). Maybe lower the opacity a bit or change the color slightly.

Another thought... I would think that the 'elemental cogs' would be more more Earth, Air, Fire, Water related than what they currently are. Or is it supposed to be Spring, Summer, Fall & Winter?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The really white mountains are snowy, but that may not have come across properly. I'll have a look at that. The elemental planes are actually physical planes so couldn't be a ball of fire, globe of water or similar. So the order is Air (top left), water (top right), earth (bottom right), fire (bottom left). They correspond to spring (air), summer (fire), autumn (earth) and winter (water). These planes are considered to be more representational than actual maps.

Thanks for the comments.

Mucho Cool!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing I might think about changing is the black compass lines to a low opacity white due to the overall darkness (which I love by the way). My brain isn't working right now (spent the day listening to my coworkers talking pop culture, actors, hip hop, and other such frivolity) so maybe the white wouldn't work, I dunno. Looks way cool, excellent job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I love how "web resolution" is >2000 px square for us.

I concur with Ascension--the graticule gets lost in that dark, dark ocean. Lightening that would help it to be more visible over the water.

I am given to wonder now: does the world drive the elemental planes, or do the planes drive the world?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

@Neon - Thanks! It was fun to do.

@Midgarsomr - I love the sig comment - I really didn't expect that starvation motivated comment to come back and bite me everyday

As I understand it, the cog moves the outer planes. There are three lower cogs beneath that the particularly enthusiastic viewer should be just about able to pick out. I put them in, but didn't want them to be a major feature so they are subtle. Perhaps too subtle.

As for the resolution, the full size version is ~9000 by 7000. I had to borrow a colleagues quad core power mac to do this in Gimp. The time may well have come to upgrade my hardware. As the screen of my (fixed!) laptop has started flickering today, I might be upgrading sooner than I might otherwise hope for.

@Ascension - yep, it's dark alright, but I'm hearing that from quite a few people so I may lighten it a little (including GP who I'm talking to about a print out of this). The commission was for dark and gritty, so I turned my normal levels way down. I wanted the lines to be very subtle, so they are black lines at low opacity set to multiply. This does get a bit lost in the sea, but I'm not sure if that bothers me at all. I might play with a version with white lines set to overlay over the weekend.

The labels are going to be low opacity black with a white overlay glow so they will lighten the map quite a lot. I'll play around and see.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, I think it looks good, and is a pretty good concept.

Although, I'm pretty sure there is already a novel based on this concept (though I've not read it) where the world is actually a piece in a giant clockwork universe or orrery.

[russian-accented-soup-nazi]no rep for you; is need more spready first[/russian-accented-soup-nazi]
    Last edited by Karro; 02-26-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Honestly, I'm shocked how sparing the praise here has been. This is truly beautiful work, just went through every finished map on the forum, and this is easily my favorite. Well done. The attention to detail is great too, with the wisps of ash even spinning with the cog and such...

Thanks! I had a lot of fun doing this, and the touches with the volcano ash were very enjoyable. The drifting cascades from the waterfall were good too. I was even tempted to animate it through 1 year....

The original is *really* big. The game developer got one printed out and laminated and I'm told they use it with whiteboard markers to block out the game setting. That I would love to see

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast