View Poll Results: How about a duel one on one?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, let's me against you.

11 55.00%
  • No, I will not fall in your game.

9 45.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What you think of duels one on one?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

While I like the idea overall, I think this would be a bit tough to pull off due to availability of time. It's pretty obvious some of us (me as an example) have much more free time then others.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I am for it but my biggest problem is that players paired up with professionals might just drop out.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    I am for it but my biggest problem is that players paired up with professionals might just drop out.
    I was thinking somewhat the same thing. What if we get the entrants who would like to participate and post a poll:

John
    Mike
    Jill
    Mary
    Ted
    Bill
    Randy

Have guild members vote in a multi select poll and top 4 winners take that round's challenge, randomly chosen by the staff as to who challenges who. 2 weeks for the Semi finals and 2 weeks for the finals and you have winner for the month.

The following month, those 4 contestants are removed from the poll. Then... depending on how big the stable size is, it may be 1,2, 3 or more months before the contestants from previous months are allowed back into the pool for the poll.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    Yeah thats true, I dont want to be paired up with one of them... oh wait a minute...

What about a handicap based on previous challenges won ?

I think the choice has to be random or on a ladder type affair. I don't like the idea of a club picking who goes with who.

You know there's a photomanipulation contest site called worth1000 that does this sort of thing really well. They have two areas. The first one is a beginner area that offers easy contests. If you have won at least 3 contests you are banned from participating in that one. The other area is the standard area where anyone can participate.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Equally it could be like a squash ladder - you can challenge anyone above you to a match, and if you win you swap places. Challenge laid down by the challenger, winner decided by popular vote. You can decline a challenge, but you move down one place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoel View Post
    I'd prefer an Elo-ladder to a squash ladder.
    :eek: I prefer the squash ladder idea. I understand how that one works and don't have to resort to seven-dimensional mathematics to work out where I'd go.

I don't think it'd work as a monthly challenge, but as an ongoing thing it'd be interesting. A Cartographer's Guild league.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

About Elo ladder:
    There's some nice programs to calculate it for you, you just put in the winner and looser and let the program generate the rankings.
    And then you'd be able to do as many or as few duels as you please and you won't loose you're ranking if you're gone a while.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

After all of this discussion/debate I must say that I probably would not be taking part anyhow...I'm not that interested in kills or defeating opponents just to up my guild ranking like in MMO guilds. It has potential to be fun but it also has potential to get out of hand with people rubbing in the face of others to increase their own self-esteem. Ok, that's my psychologist side talking...my pessimist side says that I'd be crushed in the first round anyway

My paladin side would say to combine this with the idea of a tutorial challenge--best tut wins and everyone gains some knowledge...sort of like dueling tuts for something like making forests.

My gladiator side says "one map to rule them all"...everyone makes one map, map vs map to determine the winner, and then that map goes on to the next round to take on another opponent's map, and so forth until we have one map to rule them all. This way we don't have to make multiple maps.

If I had a chaotic-evil side it would probably say something like..."monkey butts, red, willow death"...which sounds like a really cool idea for map.......
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is becoming a joke guys.
    It was not my intention to make a ring of battle here just a different way to compete.

But if you prefer ...

...just let the carnage begin
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

wow lol 9 yes 9 no, that makes a net vote (thats what its called right?) of 0.. wow lol I find that funny

[/offtopic]

I love the idea of doing duels. How about Gimpers against Gimpers and photoshopers against photoshopers, with the final 2 being a gimper against a photoshoper?
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast