Thread: CC2 Replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post CC2 Replacement

I want to install Ubuntu on my lappy, but the only thing keeping me is I wouldn't be able to reinstall CC2. I took a look at some other mapping software and was generally disappointed. Inkscape looks promising though, except for one thing:

I am always using the modifiers to construct objects in CC2 (midpoint, point on, endpoint, perpendicular to, parallel to, etc). Is there a way to achieve these functions in Inkscape, or is there any other software which can do this?

I am also considering getting CC3 and trying to run it on Wine, but would like to know if it works first. Has anybody tried running either CC2 or CC3 on Wine?

Guild Journeyer

You could probably get better info on the Profantasy discussion forums, I know the topic has come up there before.

Is dual-boot not an option?

I believe you can do all of those things with Inkscape, but it will take some time to figure it out, as it works quite a bit differently than CC. I'm not sure about finding the midpoint; Illustrator can do it, but I don't know if that feature has made it into Inkscape yet.

The biggest things I'd miss from Campaign Cartographer if I had to leave it behind are the fractalization tool, the templates, and the analysis tools. The rest of it can be relatively easily replicated in other drawing programs. Once you get used to them, anyway.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleBob View Post
    I want to install Ubuntu on my lappy, but the only thing keeping me is I wouldn't be able to reinstall CC2. I took a look at some other mapping software and was generally disappointed. Inkscape looks promising though, except for one thing:

I am always using the modifiers to construct objects in CC2 (midpoint, point on, endpoint, perpendicular to, parallel to, etc). Is there a way to achieve these functions in Inkscape, or is there any other software which can do this?

I am also considering getting CC3 and trying to run it on Wine, but would like to know if it works first. Has anybody tried running either CC2 or CC3 on Wine?
    Not sure about CC3 running on Wine, but I know some people have gotten Fractal Mapper 8 working under Wine, if that's an option for you. Otherwise, you could try GIMP and Inkscape as a combo. Many people here use GIMP and you can make some very great maps if your willing to put some time into learning it. Plus, there are some great tutorials here for GIMP as well as quite a few plug-in's which seriously help expand it's usefullness.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.