Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Port City

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I still think you should go back and do a "creepy" version like you originally intended.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I am GOD! And you will live in strangely shaped buildings! Muahaha!!

Grin....

Thanks RobA. For my next trick I'll step on my own tongue and trip into a huge vat of stupid!

Sigurd

Nice map

i like actually like the fact that there are no walls. If you have good townguards, and you do not live in a politically important part of the world, you dont need them!

To get that spooky look I'm thinking of using a chirascuro style...works well on photos (example posted of our dried fruit bowl) but not so easy with maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beforeafter.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	871.9 KB 
ID:	10652  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ahhh yes creepy fruit...the very building block of nightmares
    (sorry couldn't resist being a little silly)

I actually think that ought to work really well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah very cool, hope it works.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is great!

I shivered when reading the mention of the "man-eating grapefruit"-controlled area...

I hate them in their normal condition, so they sure scare the hell out of me in their vegetal undeath. The worst monsters ever, after maybe the blood-sucking brocolis!

Do you think you could explain how you achieved this effect (in GIMP if possible)? I remember Neon did a Feywild version of one of his maps, and I have been wondering how to efficiently make a Shadowfell version of a map ever since...

Thanks Fabrice!

I used the 'India Ink' filter (arabesque) to get the sea texture. It's basically a squiggly noise filter, I can make a plain one (I don't think it tiles though) and post it for you to use.

I also used vignetting to get the dark glow around the edges (you could just put a black layer underneath, use a layer mask of a blurred white circle to get the same effect).

The black tendrils coming out of the border I did by using a 'smoke' filter from Alienskin Eyecandy filters. Not sure how you might replicate that in Gimp though...if you have a filter which distorts with a twirly effect you could use that on black shapes and then feather the result. Finally use a 'clouds' layer mask to give you varying opacity.

I also increased the saturation and contrast and reduced the brightness to get the sickly oversaturated colours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast