Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tutorial about generating transparent PNG's for use as tokens in a VTT or similar.

There is a good tutorial at gimptalk on this in gimp:
    http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/cuttin...tool-t769.html

(I apologize for the title... for some reason people there call "removing the background of an image" "rendering" as opposed to the conventional CGI use of the term rendering, which confused the heck out of me.... I think it comes from the PS selection tool having the word render in the dialog...)

-Rob A>

hmmm... I wonder if Redrobes likes Dr Who?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Yes all very valid points there. I think I am the worst at explaining stuff in simple terms.
    Not at all - I've probably learned more about transparencies from that tutorial than I've picked up myself in the last five years.

I'll just lurk and learn for a while.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    hmmm... I wonder if Redrobes likes Dr Who?
    I do but its that I was trying to use sci-fi stuff and its all I had. I have a few planets and the odd ship but its nothing that I can use as a demo.

I played Traveller once or twice at least twenty years ago. I cant remember a thing about it. I did a little Shadowrun too but again not enough for a campaign. And then there's Paranoia which is amazingly silly. Judge Dredd the board game is AWESOME but we haven't played that for a while now but we used to do that once a year or so... anyone play that...

Anyway, got an hour or two free now so ill make some snow tokens.

Blog Entries

RobA: Thats a good way to do it. For tools that support PNG with alpha then cutting it out is probably the best way. I like the idea of a curve based selection area, my PSP does not have that. I will have to jump ship to something else one day.

I have been making snow textures for Ico. Couple of pics. Will upload a token patch shortly. I have always found doing snow immensely hard - maybe I dont see enough of the real stuff to know what its supposed to be like.

A few of kimmos characters in there - notice that the mage walks on the sunny side of the street heh heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I played Traveller once or twice at least twenty years ago. I cant remember a thing about it. I did a little Shadowrun too but again not enough for a campaign. And then there's Paranoia which is amazingly silly.
    Heh...
    Trust The Computer. The Computer is Your Friend.
    What a funny game...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

nice Tuty* Redrobes
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/signaturepics/sigpic3377_5.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    (I apologize for the title... for some reason people there call "removing the background of an image" "rendering" as opposed to the conventional CGI use of the term rendering, which confused the heck out of me.... I think it comes from the PS selection tool having the word render in the dialog...)
    I don't recall having seen the word "render" in Photoshop anywhere except as it pertains to the Render filters. From the Glossary elsewhere on GimpTalk:
    In 3D-graphics, a "render" is the result of rendering a 3D scene. In signature-making, a "render" is a foreground cut-out of a stock image (see "Stock"). By removing background that would otherwise disturb the image, the render can be applied on a new background with any choice of effects. The art of cutting out the render ("rendering") is a skill to master all of its own.
    It annoys me a bit that the word's been diluted in that fashion. Render has a very specific meaning in both CGI specifically and art generally. There's really no room for another meaning, especially as that meaning is somewhat opposite to the actual definition. "Rendering" in this sense isn't really an act of creation. At least, no more so than cutting newspaper images for a collage is. "Clipping" or "cutting" would be a far more appropriate term.

Ahem… end rant. Whether or not the terminology is good, the process certainly is, and it resembles what I was going to say. The pen is a very valuable and versatile tool, though it does take a bit of practice to get the hang of using it.

edit: Maybe they're using the term as a descendant of rendering meat--separating out what is undesirable. hmm.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

Yeah that is a bit odd. Rendering in art is filling in an area isn't it ? In the old days of ray tracing thats how it looked on screen too. You get rendering in concrete buildings too which is the same kind of thing so this new term is a bit out of place. I guess you can rend something up out of the ground which is a kind of far flung attempt to guess what they were thinking at the time.

I like that. Call it rending instead--makes it sound like an act of violence.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123