Thread: New to mapping

Help New to mapping

Hey, everyone. I'm new to the boards, obviously, but I'm excited to be joining. I've been a gamer for over 20 years and a GM for about 16-17. I'm nearly always disappointed how my maps turn out, mostly because I couldn't draw a stick figure without some serious assistance. I'm kinda behind the times technologically, and I just recently found out there were sites online to help draw maps. I really have no idea where to go to even begin looking for software/tutorials/websites/whatever. If anyone could give me a shove in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

There is some really good FREE software out there - I recommend GIMP - and there are several fantastic tutorials for GIMP here that you can use to help get yourself started.

So give it a whirl, you'll be mapping in no time.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Hey Kalyb, Where to go for fantasy map making information.... hmm let me think... yup - right here

Theres sections on software and which one might be best for you. Thats generally split into raster apps (paint programs like Gimp, Photoshop etc), Vector apps ( like Inkscape, Xara etc ) and Stamp/token based apps ( DungeonForge, Dundjinni and theres also my little app ). Some of the apps hybrid between the types a bit like CC3 where you can draw lines and put down tokens too.

If your artistic then the raster ones are good. If your technical then the vector ones are good. The stamp token based ones are good for people who want to build up maps fast with less artistic ability but are more limited in other ways but I think this is the area you should look at first as your putting down blocks of art somebody else has gone to the trouble of making.

Welcome to the Guild!

Look around and see what kind of maps strike your fancy, then ask about as to what type of software was used to make them.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave