Thread: New Low-Bandwidth Site Layout - for those that want it.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post New Low-Bandwidth Site Layout - for those that want it.

Ralf mentioned something in another thread about one of the problems with a forum being the constant download of the website images...so I set out to make a Lite version of the website.

Its still got the same flavor as the original layout, but it uses less images and smaller versions of the existing images.

Original default theme: 657k (not including text of the page/posts, and attached images)
    Lite version theme: 326k (not including text of the page/posts, and attached images)

The new lite version is not default...you must go to yor profile (profile link in top menu) and scroll down to Board Style, and change it to CartographerLite.

If you have any questions or problems, please contact me.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Very nice. Clean, simple, and fast. About the only nitpick I could make would be the buttons could be a little nicer, but that is a real nitpick.

Professional Artist

Excellent idea! Thanks very much.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the buttons were kinda thrown together, I might fancy em up a wee bit...maybe anti alias the text at least...as they are now they're only 4 colors...uber small.

Glad ya like it Ralf Although personally, the file size of the original isn't very large, and once you cache it, its not downloaded very often...but some people prefer the minimalist approach anyway aesthetics wise.

I'm also going to make a plain black and white "printable" theme and possibly have a "Click for printable version" link on each page...if I can pull it off.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

phpBB has a ready made mod for that at the phpBB website. It's pretty nice, used it on mine... the printable page idea, that is...