Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promethea - WIP

Info Promethea

Inspired by Ascension and other contributors to this site, I've bitten the bullet and will begin posting my work. A brave amateur, to quote 300, doing my part, making a fine mess of things

Promethea is a custom campaign world that I, like so many of you, have been working on for years. I suppose it's 4 years. Stumbling around for terrain samples, I happened upon this site, and it's been like a breath of fresh air through a stale basement, such was my ongoing cartographic frustrations. With Ascension's tutorial, coupled with a few ideas I've garnered along the way dabbling with GeoControl, CC, Fractal Mapper and Photoshop, here's my start point; the first image that I've been happy with for a long time.

So thank you for allowing me to share this, and for getting me back in the saddle, so to speak. I'm using an animated avatar, so if it's annoying I will happily change it. Let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	11244  
    Last edited by indio; 03-18-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

I think your water 'elevations' could use a little more blending together, the transitions are a bit sudden. But that's not that big a deal.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

In addition to Steel General's post, there's also some blending issues with the ground. Maybe having more overall height differences etc would help smoothen the map. Maybe adding a distortion function would fix some problems.. But if it doesn't bother too much, then it's not a big problem I think.

I like it, but I would expect the darker green to be the lowlands and not the uplands.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is nice as is but with the aforementioned "bevel effect" on the terrain and water. Use the blur tool in PS and blur the heck out of those transitions and this will be a keeper. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Feedback takes some getting used to. Much obliged for all the help and support.

Here are some changes that I hope reflect the excellent advice. The contours on the land I must admit to liking, and not only because I've had some difficulty modifying them. My next step is to add trees, but I'm blowed if I can think of anything that will look good. Lots of experimentation.

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	11274  

Blog Entries

I looked at the top pic and thought exactly the same as Steel and Jykke. This image has a much better fade on the sea and more randomness. I agree it needs to have some vegetation to break up the clean elevation line with some patchy forests or whatever. Its very good work tho.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yes, coming along nicely.

The sea looks great now, though I think your mountains/hills could use a little texturing as well as some vegetation as RedRobes mentioned.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

- Added a few larger forests
    - Added a lake and a few rivers

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	11323  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast