Thread: Hi All.

Post Hi All.

Hi all, and a big hello to all you fellow newbies.

Being one of those unfortunate people who can't draw a straight line with a ruler, my maps are usually illegible scrawls on a pile of old envelopes in a cardboard box.

I've tried a few drawing/mapping programs in the past, with learning-curves so steep you need crampons, and I've tried tile-mapping software for its simplicity, but these tend to be inflexible. Nothing worked for me, so it was back to the kiddies stick drawings.

Then, just recently I stumbled across a reference to Viewingdale. It seems to be exactly what I needed and it's allowed me to take my first real steps into the world of mapping.

I'll post a few pictures when I get something going, but meanwhile I've started a blog of my first apprentice-steps on the Viewingdale site. There's a link in my sig if anyone wants to go see. I figured I'd try to get some more traffic going to the site as a thank you for Redrobes' considerable help.

If there are any other Viewingdale users here, let me know, we can talk shop.

Now all I need is millions of top-down tiles of modern city buildings...
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

icosahedron... icosahedron... I recognize that moniker... ahh Sandmann of course.

Heh - guess I had better unlock the forum to guests then or else nobody is going to be able to see your blog.

Not sure my app is the simplest but it is pretty flexible.

Welcome here btw. There's LOADS of talented people over here to help you with the paint program side of mapping which you cant avoid with a stamp based tool. Also quite a few Traveller players too where theres a few deck plans you might want to request copies of.

If you want any of my maps in original format then just ask. Not sure Daleks and fantasy will fit right in but you never know.

In my sig is a link to the CWBP - the community world building project. Each of us take a tile and map it. Mine is number 7 - Thrubmorton which is all finalized in ViewingDale so if you want a copy to play with that then ill post it.

Oh and you are "The chap" in this thread too if you haven't been there already.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4457

Thanks guys,

I don't even know what I need at this stage, but thanks for the offer. It'll take me a few weeks to find my feet.

I suppose I should say that my blog is about a fantasy project rather than sci-fi. I'd better alter my sig to make that clear.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.