Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: World Map for my Campaign - WIP

Help Other Help needed

The other thing i wonder - is how would a world shifting cataclysmic earthquake originating from that central mountain ring change the landscape...

this map is the changed version and i am working on the original map from a 1000 years past, but not as fast...

should there be fissures or fault lines spreading from that central mountain ring, or would they become rivers?

Would new mountain ranges be created and could the current ones on the map be explained as being altered by such an event?

For example, the island mountain in the north east was the centre of a dwarven empire and the underground tunnels collapsed, letting ocean water in and sinking a portion of the land.

I dunno... in a fantasy world does the proper geological forces matter?

Input on these sorts of things is helpful.

phil

Wip Mountains and Noise

Here is a bit of a close up of my map...

i have been adding some more texture...

still lots of work to do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2web.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	417.6 KB 
ID:	11813  

||Regarding rivers i can only see one problem area. In the center just below your crater you have a river that splits and both lead to the sea. This is very unlikely because one would soon become the main route and the other would dry up.

Earthquakes rarely have any 'long term' effects on the landscape, if it was fairly recent you could add some landslips but the it is the fault line itself (think San Andreas Fault) that is the visible effect not the earthquake.

My post Here has a fair bit about realistic geography while the post Here has all the information about how mountains and faults form you could ever need.

Other than that it looks really nice. For me realistic geography / geology is important but for a fantasy map its entirely down to you

Have some more rep. This map is really starting to look good. Like Ravells I think the style fits really well. It has a nice fantasy look to it. The Shadowlands have some nice features.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

This is a very unique and striking style, a kind of loosely dabbed impressionistic candy-coloured (in a good way) approach that I've not seen before. I'd even suggest reducing the graininess on the land, and replacing it with some type of larger, flecked texture effect. And perhaps throwing in some gleaming highlights in the bends of the rivers and at the coast lines to make it shine.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is nice...a real painterly look. More rep comin yer way. All I can really think of is maybe tighten up the brush strokes in the icy part to resemble the mountains a bit more. The big bold strokes kind of clash with the detail of the forests...an interesting idea to be sure and I commend ya for the thought, but maybe a wee bit more detail in those empty areas. I'd have to see it though, it might not work out so well and I could be barking up the wrong tree
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

That last map is gorgeous!! Have some rep

I love the double meteor craters. It brings sooo many possibilities to mind

Good work
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I like the fact that your map looks like it was really handpainted. I also find myself a crater fan.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's a striking style. Great job!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast