Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: World Map for my Campaign - WIP

Wip World Map for my Campaign - WIP

I think I have a lot of work to go, but I was enjoying seeing other people's work and thought I would share some of my own.

This file is drastically reduced in size and has many layers taken off - labels for city names and forests and the like - since they would be too small to read at this resolution anyways.

I am still tinkering with details and layout - but you are welcome to give feedback or critiques if you wish.

This was done entirely in photoshop.

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estea-webversion.jpg 
Views:	1447 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	10650  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It looks really nice, just wish it were at higher resolution so I could see some more of the detail.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice colors but that's all I can really tell. You can post an image up to 4000 x 4000 pixels but make sure that the file size is under 4.7 megabytes (ie. when saving as a jpg in PS set the quality slider down if you need to).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like this a lot. It is a clean and consistent design. I also wish that we could see it at a higher resolution!

I'ts good looking, clean and colorful... and I do like the little details.. Really want to see it in all its glory, full res and all layers and so.

Wip Istarnia

This is a map of Istarnia - which is the non-detailed area in the middle of my world map.

The characters in the game are mostly from the isolated valley Kingdom of Istarnia - on the edge of the Shadowlands. Their dwarven neighbours from Barak Durn and elven neighbours from the Spear Woods are also involved.

They know very little of the outside world - so this map is me preparing for them to hit the outside world -- and I will likely update it one country at a time - with Breone being the place they are most likely to head to next.
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/obsidianport...8/istarnia.jpg
    Last edited by philipstephen; 02-24-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: image did not show in initial post.

Post Close up and Higher Res of world map

The orginal is about 48 x 28 inches at 300dpi

so here is a portion of it - with more layers - pretty much all text...

I have a lot of work to go - especially since I am also doing a Pre-Breaking Map. About a 1000 years ago at the culmination of the 3rd Gods War - earthquakes shook the land and changed the map. Nations rose and fell and rebuilt in the aftermath.

The next steps for me are to figure out a few more names and stories for locations - mostly towns and cities and ruins - and then plot them out on the map - likely starting with Breone - as that is where the players are mostly likely to go after they leave Istarnia.

I figure I will add details as the game builds - so this project may take a while.

At some point I may publish a novel or gaming material based on this setting, but for now it is mostly for fun.

Phil

Name:	Estea-Closeup.jpg 
Views:	717 
Size:	669.9 KB 
ID:	10692  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very painterly, very nice. About the only thing even worth mentioning is that the hex grid is kind of dominating the beauty of the map, but I understand why it's there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wip Update to the Oceans

Here is my campaign world - without the hexes - and with a whole heck of a lot of texture on the ocean...

i was not happy with the painterly swirls, and enjoyed some textures on other folks maps... so I found a couple of high res satellite photos of the ocean and built up some stormy seas with them...

not sure if it has reached its final state (the ocean) but I like it more than I did... if i get super insane i might move that sweet looking spiral from the Sea of Dreams in the northwest to the Sea of Storms in the southwest...

phil

Name:	map2.jpg 
Views:	771 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	10707  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by philipstephen View Post
    Here is my campaign world - without the hexes - and with a whole heck of a lot of texture on the ocean...

i was not happy with the painterly swirls, and enjoyed some textures on other folks maps... so I found a couple of high res satellite photos of the ocean and built up some stormy seas with them...

not sure if it has reached its final state (the ocean) but I like it more than I did... if i get super insane i might move that sweet looking spiral from the Sea of Dreams in the northwest to the Sea of Storms in the southwest...

phil
    I really like the close-up of Istarnia - it has a pretty nice hand-drawn/painted style to it. It doesn't look like it lines up perfectly to the Istarnia region on the larger map. On the large map, Istarnia looks more circular (like a smaller circle sitting tangent to the Shadowlands circle).

The larger map has an interesting painted/sketchy look. It's not bad, and has a nice aesthetic. I don't know if the somewhat photo-realistic stormclouds in the latest version quite match the sketchy/painted look very well, though.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast