Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handdrawn anyone??

Post Handdrawn anyone??

Does anyone here draw maps by hand?? I was hoping to look at hand drawn maps that I could study.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There are several folks here who do a lot of hand-drawn work. Try doing a search on "hand drawn" you should get a decent response back.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

My pencil has no Control-Z.

(And no, my eraser doesn't work that way. I wish it did!)

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I hand draw my maps, in the sense that I use a tablet and Gimp. I do a little concept work with a pencil and paper, but mostly it is done in the computer.

The person here who does the most actual hand drawn work is Delgondahntelius. He's written a tutorial on it here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3013

There was a thread a while back where several of us who now use computer-aided techniques posted old hand drawn maps.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=815
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post I do!

I'd say half to one third of my maps are hand-drawn to start with - usually are digitally enhanced for color, bump or bevel and shadows, after I scan them in. Of course I do strictly digital maps as well. It really depends on what kind of map I need and turn-around. Hand-drawn work takes more time.

Some of my very illustrative digital only designs take me little over an hour to create. But if I want a personal style or a more archaic look - I hand-draw.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I'd say half to one third of my maps are hand-drawn to start with - usually are digitally enhanced for color, bump or bevel and shadows, after I scan them in. Of course I do strictly digital maps as well. It really depends on what kind of map I need and turn-around. Hand-drawn work takes more time.

Some of my very illustrative digital only designs take me little over an hour to create. But if I want a personal style or a more archaic look - I hand-draw.

GP
    You have what some folks like to refer to as "talent" - something that many of us lack...

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    You have what some folks like to refer to as "talent" - something that many of us lack...
    Ditto.. combine that with a liberal dose of the "super speed" power and you get one super duper mapper!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Apprentice
    Earth, North American Continent, Southeast USA
    Blog Entries

yea...i hand drew all my maps...i only have a 2 of my planets for my project as CGI, all the others i've done by hand...but only one of them is scanned:

I have hundreds of hand-drawn maps from the campaigns I ran prior to good graphics editing software appearing on the computer.

Someday, I should get all of those maps out and scan them into a database.

I also occasionally paint my campaign maps. I should find a way to get those into the computers well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast