Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February Entry: Era of the Three Kingdoms

Guild Novice

Post February Entry: Era of the Three Kingdoms

This is a map of the Era of the Three Kingodoms in Chinese history.

After the fall of the Han Dynasty the strongest of warloads ended up in war with one another. Some wanted power, others wanted a land of peace for their people. After years of conflict China had been split into three empires;

-Wei
    -Wu
    -Shu

The wart these three empires would wage on each other would ultimately shape China for may decades to follow.

Enjoy all!

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	February.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	10710  
    Last edited by RobA; 02-25-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added wip tag

Pretty cool. You might want to make a quick last minute change before the contest closes:

This month's idea comes from the challenge suggestion forum, compliments of joão paulo.

We are looking for a socio-political map. The style, era and scale are your choice. It can come from the real world, a fantasy world or a future world.

A focus of this map MUST be political identifiers.... Flags, crests, banners or coats of arms must appear prominently on the work.

Entries should be in by no later than Feb 24th 2008. Remember, February is a short month!
    Note that entries are judged by the community based on adherence to the letter of the challenge rules for that month.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Thanks jfrazierjr,

Do you have to have one of the following?:

Flags, crests, banners or coats of arms.

I sort of took the point of 'political identifiers' and went with a symbol that represents each empire. I couldn't find anything along the lines of 'Flags, crests, banners or coats of arms' but assumed that these symbols are identifiable with each empire.

It would be a damn shame if I can't enter this competition with the map the way it is

Quote Originally Posted by gimil* View Post
    Thanks jfrazierjr,

I sort of took the point of 'political identifiers' and went with a symbol that represents each empire. I couldn't find anything along the lines of 'Flags, crests, banners or coats of arms' but assumed that these symbols are identifiable with each empire.

It would be a damn shame if I can't enter this competition with the map the way it is

I don't have anything handy, but you could make up some simple flags... most flags in the world are some simple combination of stripes of some sort on a rectangle. You can get as creative and detailed as you want based on the description. Alternately, if the symbol is not so much a translation of the name (as I originally thought), just put the symbol onto some type of banner or flag shape and your done.

For example, You could create a square flag for each, and place the symbol somewhere onto the flag(in the center or whatever). Or you could say have one with a circle, star, etc in one corner and the symbol in the center.

Here is a super quick example made in GIMP in about 5 minutes (yea.. its a bit "bright", so sue me) I used the Elliptical and Rectangle selection tools, bucket fill tool, and Text tool and created a path of the text layer duplication and filled with black and blurred the black layer to get a "shadow". Total 6 layers:

• Background (red)
    • Yellow (Transparent layer with Rectangle selection half the size of the original starting at 0,0 filled with color)
    • "Dots" Layer( two selections 100x100 offset from the side and offset so they cover half of yellow/red horizontally and filled with blue
    • Text layer (can be deleted later) and use the text along path tool to create a path once it's centered where I wanted in the image.
    • Select the path in the Paths dialog and "Path to Selection"
    • New layer, fill with brown. Duplicate layer with selection still around the brown.
    • Fill the new layer with black, turn off the selection and Gaussian Blur the layer.
    • Move below the Brown version of the text.

If using GIMP or PS, the selection tools have options for you to tell it the size in both directions as well as the starting x and y location, so you do the math the get it centered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flag.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	10685  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by gimil* View Post
    Thanks jfrazierjr,

You have a banner at the top of your map. Was that some stock image or something you made as part of the map? If you made it as part of the map, then just remake 2 more smaller ones and use those for your banner and your done! This is of course assuming you don't like my BEAUTIFULLY made flag and want to try that....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Member

Another map of ancient China? I'm looking forward to your final creation.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    You have a banner at the top of your map. Was that some stock image or something you made as part of the map? If you made it as part of the map, then just remake 2 more smaller ones and use those for your banner and your done! This is of course assuming you don't like my BEAUTIFULLY made flag and want to try that....
    EDIT: I can't count to 3 sometimes. Replace 2 for 3 in the sentence "remake 2 more"
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Guild Novice

Managed to update in time. Cheers for the help guys

Guild Novice

Thanks Rob A. I am not really sure what that is for or what it does thou

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Added a WIP tag for you.

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast