Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CC3 layers question

Help CC3 layers question

Hey all!

I'm utterly fresh using CC3 and naturally I've mucked up my layers bigtime already. I have put too many things in the same layers (at least I think so) so now I wonder if and how I can move entities to different layers. I basically need to move my structures to a new layer in order to hide them in player handouts. How to?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Not A CC user, so can't help you with your problem. But, I'm sure one of the resident "experts" will be along shortly help you out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hello Zimith

You can use the Change Properties function (the icone should be on the left of your screen). Click on it, select your structures and right click - "do it"

Then you tick the box in front of Layer and you select "Structures" in the drop menu, then OK.

It may be easier to select your symbols if you hide all sheets except the "Symbol" one(s).

That is how I would do, but I am quite the beginner with CC3 myself. Others here are more experienced and may have faster / less tedious tricks.

Seems to be working. Many thanks!

In CC3 I worry less about Layers than I do about Sheets. I almost don't even care about the Layers function anymore.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

The layers are still useful for the reason stated: to make more than one version of a map, in this case to make player handouts. For instance, you can have all your labels on one sheet, with a single set of effects applied to them, but the GM info is on one layer while the player info is on another, and the information shared between both is on a third. You could do it with three sheets, but that requires thrice the system resources to draw, not to mention having to set up the effects three times.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Layers are nice for freezing things so they can't be accidentally selected or edited, for example. Like when making multipolies.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

james169

In CC3 I worry less about Layers than I do about Sheets. I almost don't even care about the Layers function anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by james169 View Post
    LOL! You put what I put above and in retrospect I said absolutely NOTHING

As you may have noticed by the time my replace was posted it was 5:30 AM Pacific time. At that time I was awake all night and getting a little fried.

Let me clarify.

As Jaerdeph said, layers are nice to group things together (like all Rivers), but I find because the SHEETS do things pretty much identical, the LAYERS function has become something I pretty much ignore now.

That said, let me see if I can actually answer your question.

One a whole bunch of symbols have been placed on the map they become difficult to single out. Difficult, but not impossible.

Now, without knowing the details of what you are trying to hide/etc. I know you know. And you likely know what sheet you placed it on. So, you could likely start by hiding all other SHEETS than the one you believe the Entities are on. (I.E. you want to hide a forest, start by hiding all SHEETS except for FOREST sheet)

Once you have located it, then select the item(s) you want, (with the CHANGE PROPERTIES tool) and then through the dialog window change the LAYER you want it on.

Sorry that my previous answer was a little 'off'
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Here's why I still find layers useful. Say I'm placing door and secret door symbols. These both go on the SYMBOLS sheet. I put the doors on the Wall Features layer and the secret doors on the Secret layer. Now I can hide the Secret layer and print out a players' map and the secret doors are not visible to them. If I hide the SYMBOLS sheet, all symbols get hidden.

Sure, I could create a SYMBOLS DOORS sheet and a SYMBOLS SECRET DOORS sheet and then hide the latter before I print the players' map. But what if I'm using sheet effects? I would then have to duplicate the same effects on both sheets, and that would take more time. Even if that could be improved on (like by doing it once and saving the sheet effects to pull up again in another map), I kind of like having the multiple options of ways of doing things that CC3 provides in full.
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast