Thread: Traditional Persian Architecture

Question Traditional Persian Architecture

I am currently mapping out a 19th century Persian city and need some websites/books for inspiration, city plans and general research. Was wondering if any of you nice folk know of any sites or books that can assist me with the following:

1. Plans, drawings, elevations, layout etc. for traditional Persian residential architecture, caravanserais (inns), Mosques, bazaars, palaces, forts etc.

2. Detailed information on Persian city planning/formation from ancient times right up to the 19th century

I've already raided Wikipedia for every last drop of information, including most of the links therein to external sites. If you have any pointers, advice, links or know any good books, please let me know!

One day I may even pop some thumbnails, WIPs and, ultimately, some finished works here...

Try having a hunt on this site: http://historic-cities.huji.ac.il/

Also go to the 'Reference Material' part of the site and look for the sticky on real life maps.

Good luck with your project - I'd love to see your workings and final results.

Ah, also I see you live in London. Try the RIBA bookshop and the Triangle bookshop, they're both in the west end and may have something. I've got a few books on ancient cities...oddly they are all a bit thin on Persia.

You've probably found it already, but the City of Bam in Iran is a magnificent example.

Thanks Ravells, the Historic-Cities website is very useful! There are some excellent old maps and illustrations.

Yeah, I've got loads of info on the City of Bam - it's an absolutely awesome place and I'd love to go there one day (maybe when I grow up...?). It's a real shame it took a hiding in the 2003 earthquake.

Appreciate your help!

Corbis.com is also another good image resource.

Thanks Nytmare, I'll give corbis.com a go tonight! I love a good image resource...