Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for advice and opinions on my first maptools maps

Post looking for advice and opinions on my first maptools maps

these 4 sets of 2 maps include the origional iamges witch are NOT my work, and then the edits to them i did for my games. Looking for all sorts of advice and or opinions of how good the work is.

these images are at rather small resolution i suppose, but i wasnt sure just how rude it was considered to post 8 large files in a post, if anyones actualy interseted in seeing the pictures at the size i used them just say so!

(for those of you who read both rptools forums and cartguild, i apologise for the double post :p)

If you upload the full resolution files directly to this board, the forum will generate a thumbnail. Click the paperclip icon above the message box. You can load the files directly from a url, too, so if they're already on the 'net somewhere, you don't need to upload them from your own computer. You'll be limited to 5 images per post, but we don't mind double-posting if you need more than one message to get all the images in.

Now, I like the changes you made to the encampment--the ruts and erosion add a lot to it. Is that meant to be a rubbish heap in the corner? Nice touch!

In the second mod, that's a seriously enormous fire pit! It's the same size as the hut/tent.

I'm not wild about the changes to Dorpond's bluffs. Your changes have turned it into an extremely small map. It looks like something at the bottom of an aquarium, actually. Were your PCs shrunk? If not, I don't think they'll have enough room to have a fight in there!

The fourth map looks very good—everything looks to be scaled well, and the new elements fit right into the style of the original map. I'd be very happy to be a player in that environment. What's that blue square in the water?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Blog Entries

I can see a challenge here - take someone else's map and make customizations to it - judged on how much better it gets so picking a great map to start with doesn't allow for much improvement...

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    If you upload the full resolution files directly to this board, the forum will generate a thumbnail. Click the paperclip icon above the message box. You can load the files directly from a url, too, so if they're already on the 'net somewhere, you don't need to upload them from your own computer. You'll be limited to 5 images per post, but we don't mind double-posting if you need more than one message to get all the images in.

Now, I like the changes you made to the encampment--the ruts and erosion add a lot to it. Is that meant to be a rubbish heap in the corner? Nice touch!

In the second mod, that's a seriously enormous fire pit! It's the same size as the hut/tent.

I'm not wild about the changes to Dorpond's bluffs. Your changes have turned it into an extremely small map. It looks like something at the bottom of an aquarium, actually. Were your PCs shrunk? If not, I don't think they'll have enough room to have a fight in there!

The fourth map looks very good—everything looks to be scaled well, and the new elements fit right into the style of the original map. I'd be very happy to be a player in that environment. What's that blue square in the water?
    yes these are actualy not in the order of me creating them, i didnt think about that until just ricently, the orders of making it was cave->dropoffs->piers->encampemnt. Also the fact that all the pictures are roughly the same size on the screen cap but are not actualy played at that size makes it a bit confusing as well (i'm learning so much already just from how i posted the images!)

the heap in the corner i wasnt sure about, i wanted to make it into a little farm but it did end up looking more like what you suggested, in the game i justifed it as being a attempt at kobolds to learn "farming things other then mushrooms", in my actual games there are a great many mouse over "info" clicks on much of the additions that explain things.

the firepit was more added just to coverup the pit that was in there on the origional map, as it was my first creation i wasnt worrying too much about scale and just trying to "get" how to add things.

the dropoff cliffs i admit are probably the worst of the 4 maps, i liked the IDEA behind the battle, but it just didnt seem to go together well, it is defanintly rather "streamlined" for being a square map, in that it forces the players to take a specific path, and the added objects clash rather poorly with the map, the maphowever was a decent amount larger then it actualy looks when we played, but it still defanintly had a very "cramped" feeling. This map also gave me a major pain for light mapping, as i'm still learning maptools as well.

the blue square is apparently a gm only visible tile that i forgot to remove >_<

thanks for the advice so far guys!

You don't say where you got your maps. Did you record a name and location?

Its sort of the least you could do.

Sigurd

Post them up in the finished map board (as midgårdsormen said) and let the thumbnail scraper put it in the gallery

i thought this was the finished map board? and yeah i'm working on teh thumbnail thing.

as far as credit no i just started doing this and didnt think until yesterday of taking down the peopels name from now on i am going to though, and if anyone happens to off the top of their head know or notice who its from i would love to put in credit

Quote Originally Posted by cerebreturns View Post
    i thought this was the finished map board? and yeah i'm working on teh thumbnail thing.

as far as credit no i just started doing this and didnt think until yesterday of taking down the peopels name from now on i am going to though, and if anyone happens to off the top of their head know or notice who its from i would love to put in credit

1. JFJohnny5's from the Finished Maps forum. made about 7 months ago or so.
    2. Second map: it's here, but I can't remember who did it and can't find it.
    3. Dorponds from a Monthly Challenge 6 months back or so. If you find his name, you can look up his awards cause he won that one with this map
    4. Torqs from the Finished Maps forum. Made about 5 months ago or so.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

wow how did you find all that out so fast? thanks for the names

Good memory. I guess I missed the fourth map when torq posted it, and though I remember seeing the cave map, I can't remember whose it is, either.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast