Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIMP: Automate this?

Post GIMP: Automate this?

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic....te+GIMP#p76366

So, this is a process developed by our very own AidyBaby to make some very nice state images for Maptool. Rumble was able to use some external plugin's to get an approximation of these, but I have not been able to get the settings just right to duplicate. Once I can duplicate the process, how hard would this be to script up(other than the base image of course!). So, you start with a black field and delete out a shape to reveal a white background showing through and then apply several of the Layer Effects plug-in's to get a nice gell looking thing on the other side. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out the right settings since the PS plugin is different than the ones for GIMP.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Here is my go at it - no layer effect plugins req'd.

I will try to script it up in the next day or two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stateicon.png 
Views:	152 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	10857

-Rob A>

Thanks Rob!!! This is great! How did you do this manually, as I would really love to know, even if you script it up....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sorcery. Fortunately, RobA has his own chicken farm for the sacrifices.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Sorcery. Fortunately, RobA has his own chicken farm for the sacrifices.
    I was going to put some smarty-pants comment about RobA's GIMP prowess, but this is way better than anything I had in mind.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Blog Entries

Poor chickens... there must be at least six in that one.

I'm going to rate all Robs scripts now in sacrificial chicken units (SCU)

Was going to mention that with image magick theres some 'Gel' effects that you can use to make buttons and stuff like this.
    http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/advanced/#gel_effects
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-03-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Info Gimp Script: Make Token

So, attached are the scripts.

@jfrazierjr - feel free to pass on to the RPTools forum.

File > Create > Blank Token
    - creates a blank token image, black on transparent to allow the user to cut out shapes before running the make token script

Filters > Decor > Satin Gloss

- makes a shiny token. It leaves the layers separate to allow changes. Alpha is locked on the main token.

You can read the script to figure out the process but it is pretty simple...

The glow layer is created by using the template's alpha as a selection. It is enlarged and feathered then filled with the glow colour.

The token layer is simply alpha-locked and filled with the desired colour. (this means that multiple versions can be made by changing the colour in this layer, either by flood filling or using hue adjustments, etc)

The satin layer is the most complicated. I made a nice satin look by starting with the alpha selection then performing a shapeburst gradient (white to black), then repeated random linear gradients in difference mode (also white to black). This is a technique I use to make crinkled paper bumpmaps, by the way. To make it satin looking, I blur it, then run a sobel edge detect then blur again and invert. This layer is set to multiply mode.

The bevel layer is simply the alpha selection (again) filled with black, then shrink the selection and feather, then fill with white. Multiply mode.

The highlight was a bit tricker, but is really just an emboss of a variant of the bevel layer, with a bunch of level corrections applied, then a few variable blurs.

here is a sample produced by the script:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	token.png 
Views:	572 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	10872

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Poor chickens... there must be at least six in that one.

I'm going to rate all Robs scripts now in sacrificial chicken units (SCU)

Was going to mention that with image magick theres some 'Gel' effects that you can use to make buttons and stuff like this.
    http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/advanced/#gel_effects
    Indeed. I guess you can't make an awesome script without sacrificing a few chickens!

Me... I have no chicken farm

@RobA: That's pretty cool!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Blog Entries

Couple of shapes in different colors and you would have a big semi precious gem collection...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast