Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urbis Campaign Map

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Jurgen, if you have time perhaps you should enter the Monthly Mapping Challenge - this month's challenge is to create a socio-political map with the idea being show family crests, guild sigils and other identifier symbols to show the various spheres of influence in a given map area.

So pick one region or the who world of Urbis and show us your socio-political divisions. Here's the link to the Challenge thread...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4177
    Interesting, but my skill at creating such symbols is sadly rather limited...

Here is a smaller map that only shows the political boundaries (again, click to enlarge):

I did the color effects with GIMP. Maybe I will try to recreate the effect with Inkscape, though that will likely involve more effort...

I've been trying to draw mountains in a new way - here's a sample of how it looks like.

Yes, this is a lot more effort than the old way - but I hope it's worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainsSample.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	12039  

I've finally started to work on the main map again. I've added colors for the various political and geographical regions portrayed on the map.

Everything was done with Inkscape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UrbisMap-110208.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	33296

EDIT: Somehow the attachment doesn't display properly below the post - possibly because the file is so large. The link works, though.
    Last edited by Jürgen Hubert; 02-08-2011 at 03:08 PM.

I'm now attempting to redraw all the mountains. I have completed two mountain ranges, but I thought that before I continue I should get some feedback. I've attempted to do this in the style of 19th century maps. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainTest.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	602.3 KB 
ID:	33896  

Blog Entries

You might want to look into Path Effects, I was able to get a similar Hachuring look for mountains by combining the right effects (Pattern along Path and Sketch). It doesn't look quite as good as when done by hand, but it saves a massive amount of work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12