Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urbis Campaign Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Urbis Campaign Map

Here is the overland map for the campaign setting I am working on:

http://juergen.the-huberts.net/dnd/u.../DetailMap.jpg

I quite like it, but I will probably have to redo it at some point - I've noticed that the contrast is really low when I print it out.

I have to say that I like this style. It is different and not my favorite, but I like it. It has a sort of natural feel to it, and some of the areas really peak my curiosity. I think the one thing that needs to be addressed is the rivers. They don't 'flow' right. (excuse the pun) Maybe it is the haziness, or the color, I'm not sure, but they seem out of place with the rest of the map.

What app is this being created in?

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller
    What app is this being created in?
    A combination of Inkscape (for the fine lines) and GIMP (for the color effects).

I've gone into the details about how to do such maps here.

Oh! Nice! Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

Post WOW that is fantastic

I have very little to add

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the way the mountains are done...The pastels aren't really my thing though. Overall though the map seems pretty solid.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Lots of time has passed, but I was finally able to create an updated version of the Urbis map (click to enlage):

This is a lot more "bare bones" than the previous version - but it was made entirely with Inkscape, which allows me to update it a lot more frequently. You can download the SVG file from which this bitmap was generated here.

Note that almost all locations on this map have a corresponding entry in the Urbis Wiki.

Post Hey, Jurgen good to see you again!

There's that Inkscape guy again! Hey, Jurgen, long time no see! I see you poppin' up in the CBG, and ENworld every once in a while. Its probably been almost a year since I visited Eruvian.com - does that even still exist?

Unless your map file is too big. You should use "manage attachments" in the Edit Post, so you can post a thumbnail instead of just a link.

How is Urbis going? Did you ever use that cathedral in your world?

Explore the site and find some of my maps, won't you?

Welcome to the Guild! By tradition I give REP to noobs with maps - so have some REP!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    There's that Inkscape guy again! Hey, Jurgen, long time no see! I see you poppin' up in the CBG, and ENworld every once in a while. Its probably been almost a year since I visited Eruvian.com - does that even still exist?
    It still exists... but there's no activity over any more. This is why I've recently switched over to a wiki, so that others can contribute to the setting (when following certain guidelines).

Unless your map file is too big. You should use "manage attachments" in the Edit Post, so you can post a thumbnail instead of just a link.
    I used a smaller image generated by the wiki to generate a "thumbnail". I didn't actually upload any images to this thread because the final map is very large...

How is Urbis going?
    It's not progressing as fast as I'd like (and it doesn't help that I'm in the middle of writing my thesis...), but things are looking up at the moment.

Did you ever use that cathedral in your world?
    I vaguely remember a cathedral, but I think I got distracted and forgot about it at the time. Could you perhaps refresh my memory?

Actually, I could offer to add links to the Urbis Wiki to good maps detailing specific locations. The new wiki setup allows me to add all sorts of vaguely related "Designer's Notes" and resources at the end of each entry. I think I will create a new thread for such requests...

Explore the site and find some of my maps, won't you?
    Will do.

Welcome to the Guild! By tradition I give REP to noobs with maps - so have some REP!

GP
    Actually, I registered quite some time ago - note the date of my first post in this thread. It's just that I got distracted by Real Life in the meantime...

Post Perhaps you should try this month's challenge

Jurgen, if you have time perhaps you should enter the Monthly Mapping Challenge - this month's challenge is to create a socio-political map with the idea being show family crests, guild sigils and other identifier symbols to show the various spheres of influence in a given map area.

So pick one region or the who world of Urbis and show us your socio-political divisions. Here's the link to the Challenge thread...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4177

Be sure to read the Main Challenge Rules as well, then explore the entries so far.

Mine's the Gempei War.

I know you're a busy guy, but maybe you could squeeze one in.

GP

PS: I know you're not a brand new noob, but with so few posts, I still consider you a noob!

PPS: oh the cathedral was my October Challenge 2007 map, here at the guild.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast