Thread: Some Experimental Stuff from me

Wip Some Experimental Stuff from me

Hey folks, it's the madman again!

Okay, I must admit, I really love a brush-like... brush. In Photoshop. I like the effects attainable by using the brushes that are molded after real-life brushs and such... recently I toyed around with doing some brushes myself (like a house for a map) and made a few funny attempts. Nothing worthwhile, but I found a style I wanted to try out.

In the last 45 minutes or so, I finally came around to doing it. I made two small maps, both in a somewhat "asian" style from the... uhm, let's call it landscapes...

I kinda like the outcome. What do you guys think?

Edit: In the 2nd Image I tried to simulate ink running down after drawing and some splashes of color here and there. How does that look?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_Kyosu copy.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	349.2 KB 
ID:	10823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igyo copy.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	10824  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Kind of cute, like a child did it. Don't take that the wrong way...it's a neat idea.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

No offense taken, I just kinda like that style... I think I'll try doing a big map with that one, maybe after I refine it to something less "child-like" and a little more serious, whilst keeping the general theme and style...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Child-like is cool...when I want something like that I use my left hand. Lots of fun (for me anyways). Keeps my inner child alive kind of thing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow, very neat idea man. I'm quite fond of the Chinese wall scroll art type, and have a few myself. Check out this link (google images) http://images.google.co.jp/images?q=...N&hl=en&tab=wi

If that doesn't work, you can just google "Chinese wall scroll art" or something to that effect and there should be a bazillion links to research. They used horse hair brushes back in the day to do both calligraphy and scroll painting.
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

I'll bet if you did it in a semi-translucent black over a golden parchment, it would look very authentic, maybe with some very dark reds. The child-like look comes only in part from the imprecise brush work; the rest comes from those bright primary colors.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I'll try a few of the ideas here, thanks fellas!

Post Watch it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Child-like is cool...when I want something like that I use my left hand. Lots of fun (for me anyways). Keeps my inner child alive kind of thing.
    Was that a "shot" at us left-handed people?

Y'know, we're the only people that are in the right side of their minds...

Regards,

Gary
    In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.
    © May 29, 1980

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    we're the only people that are in the right side of their minds...
    I used to have a t-shirt with something similar on it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Who was it that said that the right hand is for destroying but the left hand is for creating?