Thread: Fractal Terrains - Rivers issue

Help Fractal Terrains - Rivers issue

Hi there,

I just spent 20 minutes feeling like an idiot trying to figure out how to post a new message on the Pro Fantasy forums, and have finally given up. Then I remembered this wonderful forum with so many helpful souls...

I've been having a problem with Fractal Terrains.

In the attached image, you can see the problem, whenever I make rivers (I'm making them at higher resolutions) I get horizontal lines in approximate the same place when my whole map is showing. They appear on all saves that I've tried etc. An image is attached showing the problem.

They vanish when I zoom in within the program or save smaller components of the maps. But this is a pain.

Any suggestions?

David

p.s., any idea if a 64bit version is coming out to deal with memory limitations etc?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A000000.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	666.9 KB 
ID:	10836  

Those horizontal lines are a long-standing problem in FT that often seems to be related to rivers crossing the -180/+180 longitude line. I've been unable to track it down despite many hours of effort (and special code in the software intended to eliminate the problem). I vaguely recall that shifting your projection slightly may help.

One possible solution is to save your image in to halves, but that's not an ideal solution by any stretch of the imagination.

There isn't a 64-bit version of FT planned at this time.

Thanks!

What a shame, this program could benefit form a 64 bit version seeing as it crashes so often when saving (or working on) larger resolution files. I'm trying to make my work sized at 30"x20" at 300dpi...just can't save files 95% of the time at that resolution. I've been having to merge many smaller portions of the map together which is a real pain (and doesn't always work -i.e., rivers have gaps sometimes).

And thanks for the heads-up about the rivers.