Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarniss

Guild Applicant

Map Tarniss

Hello folks, this is my first post.

I've been working on a little fantasy world called "Tarniss". It is the default setting for a game I designed a few years back called Dungeoneer. Recently I have been expanding on the world and this is the latest map I have created for it:

You can view a larger version here.

My plan was to detail out the people, places, and things in the world using Blogspot. I'm planning to make a post for each entry and use the labels feature to categorize each post.

http://tarniss.blogspot.com/

This is a great site! And I've enjoyed checking out the great maps members have been posting. Very inspiring!

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild. Nice map, is this the entire globe or a part of it?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Very nice work and second RobA's opinion of the compass rose.

Have some rep for including a map in your first post. *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Rob A: thanks!

bartmoss: I haven't set a scale yet. I was thinking this would be roughly analogous to the region from northern Africa (Egypt) up to Russia - Siberia. So I envision the central area a lot like ancient Greece and Middle-East.

Steel General: thanks, and thanks!
    Last edited by thomas denmark; 03-01-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Guild Novice

I might actually suggest using obsidianportal.com for fleshing out and detailing your world in terms of names, places, culture, etc. It is build like a wiki. On the front page there should be a video tutorial. I am using it to create (not a whole world) but a continent, storyline, people, etc for a D&D compaign I want to run. It is very easy and keeps things so organized and flowing.

*Edit
    Also, very cool map, love the detail.
    No rivers though?
    Last edited by Eesu; 03-02-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like that Dunwich map with how it combines the hand-drawn and the more realistic height-map for terrain..real nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Eesu View Post
    Also, very cool map, love the detail.
    No rivers though?
    Most of the rivers were destroyed in the Eldritch wars - the few remaining are fetid and clogged with poisonous residue. The only source of fresh water are underground springs and water tables.

Detail maps show these dried up rivers, and there are a few that have been magically restored, like the Betulah river recovered by the crafty dwarves of Nim Ozhul, near the Dunwin Wastes.

Ascension: you mean Dunwin. Here is the detail map:

This is still a bit rough and needs some clean up. I've made a bunch of texture brushes in Photoshop and feather in the details on a layer set for "luminosity" and then I use another layer set for "color". The top layer is the text and outlines which is set for "multiply".

That style makes for a nice map. I kinfd of like the contrast between the rough symbols and the texture below.

Plus I like the little icons you used for the towns and entrances. Nice!

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Ah, that would explain it then.
    Icons remind me heavily of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and the icons they used.
    They were good in the game, but they kind of clash with the style of map you have there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast