Thread: D&D Map #1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Wip D&D Map #1

This is my first try at doing regional mapping. I have done some level mapping for some video games but that is it.

I had started a storyline and backstory for a continent for a D&D campaign I want to run and then went to make a map and realized the story had become kinda cliched. So I removed alot of the story and started making this map. I am hoping that it will be easier to write the story when the map is mostly laid out.

I want this map to have an older feel, and look like something drawn out on parchment, but not just ink. Definitely needs a hand-made feel. Not going to use any complex symbols or icons. Do not want it pixellated in any way, not cartoony or 8-bit. (Yeah, I am being specific, but I think you get the point.)

Anyway, here is what I have so far. Not done designing yet, but if you can see the texture difference, I have put down a base texture where all the mountains are going to be. Will also be adding some more cities/towns, not too many tho.

Looking for any design ideas, like where to do forests/marshes, rivers, a few more cities, etc...
    And perhaps if anyone knows of any methods for making mountains that would match the style I already have going (my own style I think, haven't read any tutorials yet) you could post the link. Thanks!

*Edit
    Oops, sorry, thought I put it in the Regional category but guess I wasn't paying attention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1 copy.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	558.3 KB 
ID:	10847  
    Last edited by Eesu; 03-02-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Miscategory