Thread: Traveller Starmap

Post Traveller Starmap

This is a map I created for an upcoming Traveller Pocket Empires campaign. It differs in several ways from a 'standard' Traveller starmap. The big disadvantage is that, unlike 'sector generating' software, you have to draw in every symbol and label individually. I wouldn't like to map out the entire Imperium that way, but it works well for a small pocket empire or a single subsector.
    The major advantage is that Viewingdale's infinite zoom allows me to squeeze a lot more information into each hex than you would get on a normal hexmap. You don't need to use cryptic symbols, you can actually write text labels and zoom in to read them. For example, I can get the entire UWP code string in so that you can see at a glance what the world is like without having to do a file search for the relevant info.

The little blue document link (edit: oops, not shown) helps out with more detailed info. Again, instead of searching through your computer files or ringbinders for documentation on each world, a map like this enables you to drop a link into each hex that will take you straight to descriptions, pictures, player and referee info, subsidiary maps, etc. You can link to a system layout map that will show the layout of the planets and fleet dispositions, then link to surface maps, city maps and lab facility floorplans...

You just browse for the stuff once, link to it, and its there for keeps.
    The real beauty of this map is the bits you can't see.

As I produce more stuff on this, I'll post it. Gotta love those dayglo borders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hex_Out.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	11107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Single PE hex demo.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	11108  
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.