Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post The ICE Temple

So I made it into the final minutes of the ICE contest with this entry:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IceTemple.jpg 
Views:	973 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	10849

The WIP thread is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4025

In ancient times a dragon ravaged the lands. Thousands of people were slain and cities burned to the ground. First the people turned to the gods of summer and spring, but they were too fey. They helped when life was good and wouldn't understand disaster. They turned to the god of autumn, but she told them that bad times were inevitable and that they must accept their fate and ride it out. Finally, in desperation, they turned to the cruel god of winter. He understood bad times and hard choices. When people are desperate they will do desperate things. He would handle the dragon, but the people must make a pact. One virgin sacrifice every midwinter's eve. The people wept but they had no choice.

The dragon was lured to a high mountain top in with a cascading river, but today there was nor river, as it was dammed with a wall of ice. As it flew closer the ice cracked and a avalanche of water engulfed the beast. The god of winter spoke, and the water froze, trapping the dragon in an enormous icicle. The people heard of the event and celebrated. The king knew better and sent his best climbers to see for themselves. They saw the dragon in the ice and were joyous, but then they looked closer and saw that above the dragon lay a vaulted pillared hall, and at the end, overlooking the valley of the cities, and whipped by icy winds, stood a cold butcher's block of solid ice - an altar for the price of the deal.

In the following years, steps have been carved to make the perilous climb possible. Every year, in the dead of winter, the priests take the god's prize to his lofty temple and keep their people's pact lest the dragon return.

WOW man. That is bloody brilliant work you've done. Love the frozen dragon and bloody altar.
    "Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils."
    - Louis-Hector Berlioz

All my work is released under the Creative Commons 3 license. Feel free to use and copy, but please give credit where it's due

That is a very cool map man. Good Colors, good layout, good flow. I love the practicality of it with the grid for your campaign encounter. The frozen wyrm is a fantastic addition and really adds a lot.

What really does it for me and brings it all together is your concept drawing of the cliff and overhang included in the bottom corner.

Great work!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks! It was fun to draw (and a real pain at times). Good fun drawing dragons again as well - it's been ages.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very cool T! - glad you were able to make the deadline.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    That is a very cool map man. Good Colors, good layout, good flow. I love the practicality of it with the grid for your campaign encounter. The frozen wyrm is a fantastic addition and really adds a lot.

What really does it for me and brings it all together is your concept drawing of the cliff and overhang included in the bottom corner.

Great work!
    This post is turning my thoughts on this awesome map into words. I second everything Wag wrote and am amazed at your talent! Well done!

Post Very Imaginative and Original

Its hard to be so far out on the edge. Good Job

Very good job.

Sigurd

Very nice.

A friend of mine says that its totally kick-a**.

I also like the story that goes with it. Very interesting.

thats really nice!

super cool map!

ever thought of making a version with a grid, to be used for minis games or DnD?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast