Thread: Islas de Sangre

Map Islas de Sangre

Hey there, guys. I stumbled across this website a few weeks ago when it was posted on the Penny Arcade website, and instantly bookmarked it. I've always had a love for both maps and roleplaying games, so naturally I find this forum fascinating.

Today I finally decided to take a look at some of the tutorials to try and try my hand at making a map. After trying, and failing, to follow some of the directions on my PC's Photoshop Elements, I decided to download GIMP for my macbook and give it a go.

I followed one of those 'Create Random Coastlines in GIMP' tutorials, and went from there. This is what I came up with. A friend of mine helped me come up with the name, and I took the town names from a similar vein. It's the very first map I've ever really created on a computer, and I'd love to hear what you all think, thanks a ton.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iChat Image(2408173679).jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	10886  

Nicely done, Everyman. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of small points to consider... some of the text is hard to read (I find the Cyan on blue quite difficult). Adding a slight glow, shadow or outline to the text would help offset it from the background and increase readability.

The river that forks might raise some hackles around here... in general, rivers don't diverge, they converge, unless they are in an unstable condition (like a delta).

Also, I don't know the scale of the map! Throw on a scale and a compass rose and you are well on your way!

-Rob A>

Yup. Pretty nice and like Mr Rob says, the rivers 'could' cause issues, Unless they are not rivers but large inland sea channels.

Without a Scale, hard to say what they are.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice job - second what the others mentioned regarding the rivers and the text
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the guild Everyman. Nice map!
    Regards,

Jim

My Maps

I've thrown down a scale and a compass rose, and done my best to change up some of the rivers so that they hopefully make more sense.

Question: Is there a way to save in .gif or .jpeg in GIMP? What I'm doing now is taking a cropped screenshot of my desktop then saving it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islas.jpeg 
Views:	60 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	10903  

File>Save a Copy

Then just type in the file name including the extension (.jpg or preferably .png) and it will save off a copy in that format, keeping your original (I assume native .xcf) undisturbed.

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

There should also be a little "expand" + sign that expands a list of "save as" extension options in the save as dialog. GIFs and JPEGs and PNGs have there own little optimization dialog that will pop up when you "save as" using one of those.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...