Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Foray

Map My First Foray

This is my first real foray into mapping. Until now, I've kind of screwed around a little to get the basic gist of where things should be situated. I made these two with help from several of the tutorials hosted here, with the most help from jezelf's tutorials here: http://www.cartographersguild.com//s...ead.php?t=2557

The map really has no meaning, I just added labels and such because I decided I might as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuck_map1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	698.7 KB 
ID:	10854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chuck_map2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	527.5 KB 
ID:	10855  

Very nice! I think the river sources need a little work though.

I like the parchment one a lot.

Thanks! I thought the rivers were a bit off, too, but I ran with it anyway. Perhaps I'll go back and edit them at some point.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Pretty nice. Seems like you got it down pat.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like them both, but something about the rivers seems a bit strange to me. Can't quite pin it down though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That seems to be the general consensus, that the rivers are weird. Guess I'll just have to practice rivers then.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You aren't the only one, they are probably one of, if the hardest things for me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like it, it is good, but like others have said.....the rivers.....
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Journeyer

Nice work!

I think the issue with the rivers might be your choice of colour or rather the lightness of them and the treatment.

They fight against the surround colours. You have mountains and such which, with their height comes lighter hues. The rivers are light blue so your brain can't arrange the order that you think should make sense

Try a darker tone - but not too dark or they will stand out again like a silhouette

as for the treatment, I mean they are of contrast to your coastline. If the looked more similar to the coastline (in their jaggedness than smooth ) then they would look more in harmony and would relate better. otehrwise you have a confilict of styles.

In my tutorial I have a method for doing the rivers if you wanted to try that instead - or you could try Wilbur's rivers which I have found the best option. I used them on my Mythkhardia map - there's a link in my sig.

Great first go though. Thanks for showing.
    Last edited by jezelf; 03-03-2009 at 09:48 AM.

Hahah, jezelf, I followed your tutorials the most of anybody, though my rivers always turned out quirky with your method. Though I can't say I did any better with my method. I guess next time I'll have to pay extra attention to the rivers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast