Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Isometric Maps

Post Isometric Maps

I am in need of links to websites that deal with Isometric perspective, specifically relating to urban planning and/or computer game design. The project I am involved with currently is set in an alternative, dark fantasy version of Persia circa 1800.

Perhaps if we get enough links here, it could be used as a resource for isometric mapping in general (if anyone's interested)...?

Areas that I am particularly interested in include:

* Isometric perspective tutorials/advice
    * Architectural design
    * Mediaeval urban planning
    * Concept art/environmental design for computer games

As always, any help is gratefully received!

Peace

Post Isometric

Most of us who dabble with Isometric mapping use a 3D app with an Isometric camera to accomplish our needs.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Yeah you really need your objects in 3D and view them at 30 degrees of tilt. You need to set the camera to have extreme telephoto lens and position it a long way back or if possible an iso/ortho type setting. Usually in games all the buildings are on a grid and each building can use up one or more of them.

There was a link to a web page that allowed you to put buildings together in this style. It was pretty good but I cant remember the link now.

Some of the tokens in CC3 seem to take on this style too.

Thanks for your help, guys. Currently all my work is done using good old pen and paper, with some Photoshop. I am not actually involved in the game artist/3D modelling side of things, although I downloaded Blender not that long ago and am devoting any spare time I have in learning the software (loads of great tutorials out there for this one!) so this info will definitely be useful.

I would like to get some thumbnails and WIPs on here when I have them, and am more than happy to receive any advice and/or criticism on these should anybody feel the urge!

Thanks again.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I find that starting with a square grid top down and drawing out a floorplan is a great help. Then spin this 45 degrees and shrink it in the vertical direction by 57.7% This will give you an isometric floorplan. Use this as a sketch and then work it up from there as a normal 2D map, with some 3D sketching.

Great advice, Torstan. Thanks!

Isometric is easy to do in 2d. As Torstan said, spin it 45 degrees and shrink it vertically (depending on what angle you want, though, I typically shrink about 50 degrees)

Don't just start with your floor plan, though. Work in layers, and use a different layer for each elevation increment. Then once you spin them, and shrink them vertically, you can offset your layers to give you roofs to houses, walls, and the like, which you can sketch vertical lines over to connect the corners, and then fill out the details.
    I'm new here, from conworlds- also an awesome forum for world building.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ooo, some great ideas here...thanks T and B.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'll second what Ascension said - thanks Blake, that is some good advice. Just trying to get my head around this massive project I'm working on - it's gonna be a while in the making!

i think google sketchup might be a good option to do the sketching in.. it's a lot easier to learn than blender.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast