Thread: drakkengard city WIP

Post drakkengard city WIP

here's a work in progress of one of the main cities in my campaign world. This city has evolved over the course of the last 100 years from a small trader outpost with a small keep to a capital city of the realms.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...y/drakcity.jpg

here's a close up of the area with the finished detail. i'm thinking of changing a few things because every building is a 300dpi bitmap, and the file size is already above 10 megs.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...nkey/dcWIP.jpg

suggestions and comments would be welcome.

Looking good Terrainmonkey ... keep us posted on your progress
    Also visit Dundjinni, Four Ugly Monsters, the Nook, Battlegrounds Games, Fantasy Grounds, RPTools, RPGMapShare, Eruvian, Dragon Roots, RPG Virtual Tabletop, Troll Lord Games, GameMaster Syndicate and meny, many others

Looks very promising. I like the colors used so far.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Uhm, why isn't Heruca an Industry Pro?
    Also visit Dundjinni, Four Ugly Monsters, the Nook, Battlegrounds Games, Fantasy Grounds, RPTools, RPGMapShare, Eruvian, Dragon Roots, RPG Virtual Tabletop, Troll Lord Games, GameMaster Syndicate and meny, many others

Guild Journeyer

I dislike the mushiness at the edges of the green "grass" areas. The rest of the map is all sharply defined and full of angles, the green kind of makes me try to re-focus my eyes to make it unblurry. I don't notice on the spots where you have dense buildings on the edge, so it's very possible that the issue will go away as you finish populating the map.

loyd

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kepli
    He never asked to be
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepli
    He never asked to be
    tsk ... disappointing Heruca

LOL, Kepli. I'm not sure that I AM an industry pro. At least not in the cartography sense.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

One thing to consider here is your statement that the city has grown. I am assuming that you plan to populate the blank area with a lot of buildings.

Cities that grow - usually show signs of that growth, such as an inner wall, smaller market areas, that are replaced with larger ones, original buildings are usually closer together and haphazardly placed, where newer ones are kept further apart. The best part of town is always moving to a nicer location with more open space.

If the walls of the city start out small, they will usually be expanded, take sharp turns to avoid new buildings, or be completely abandoned in place when new ones are built further out.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Dundjinni Moderator and Artist