Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GIMP: How to Automate the Tedium?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'd be interested in getting my hands on this, for just the reason Joe mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Rob, I just had a thought, what if you use your top down mountain technique with the angular gradient fill, and then run this on top of the resulting height map?
    It does take a bit of futzing about.... Here is the result on the HF of the recent mountain tut I had posted.

The lines are a bit regular... adding some random to the code would probably help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	712.4 KB 
ID:	10914

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    It does take a bit of futzing about.... Here is the result on the HF of the recent mountain tut I had posted.

The lines are a bit regular... adding some random to the code would probably help.

-Rob A>
    That is THE BOMB DIGITY!!!! As you said, if you can get some randomness into the "smudge stroke"(perhaps a displace???), this would be pretty much perfect.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

With the script I munged up, if I start with this:
    Attachment 10911

and do a selection to alpha then alpha to path, running the script will do this:
    Attachment 10912

Enlarging and shrinking the selection first (to make an outside path and an inside path), then running the script first on the outside then on the inside I got something like this (after playing with spacing and such):
    Attachment 10913

Of course, randomness lengths could be added in. Unfortunately, pdb calls won't use new settings like jitter ;(

Let me know and I'll upload a copy if this is the effect you are looking for.

-Rob A>

That is pretty awesome close to what I was talking about! I wish I could pip you another green blob!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Hmmmm.... with some playing with the right colors and some dodge/burn effects, this would make for a somewhat quick way to make top down(symbolic) mountains effect. With variable lengths, I expect you could make some niceish hills...
    Joe: you have been reading my mind. That is exactly what I wanted this for.

I've been working (very, very slowly) on a worldmap with a lot of mountains... I was at this point and thought "why the crap should I do this by hand; at the rate I've been moving, it'll take me months to do all these..." So... I thought, what if it could be automated?
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

-Rob A>
    Even if not, if I've got the outline of the mountains on a transparent layer, I can alpha to selection, then run a stroke selection or two with paintbrushes or erasers set to jitter or something to break up the lines and give it some randomnes, even if it turns out to be too difficult to add the randomness into the script itself.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

OK, I rewrote it as a script and added a bunch of parameters.

Start with the defaults. It shows up under the Edit menu...

It works against a path, not a selection, so you will have to convert a selection to a path.

The only "weirdness" about it is that path slope is not differentiated by direction. here is a sample run on a circle to show you what I mean....

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	10921

The top half stokes "inwards" first and the bottom half strokes "outward" first.

Depending on the pressure this might not matter, but it can be worked around by selecting inside the path (assuming it is closed) with a path to selection, running the script, then inverting the selection and running it again.

Have fun!

-Rob A>

OK, I rewrote it as a script and added a bunch of parameters.

Start with the defaults. It shows up under the Edit menu...

It works against a path, not a selection, so you will have to convert a selection to a path.

The only "weirdness" about it is that path slope is not differentiated by direction. here is a sample run on a circle to show you what I mean....

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	10921

The top half stokes "inwards" first and the bottom half strokes "outward" first.

Depending on the pressure this might not matter, but it can be worked around by selecting inside the path (assuming it is closed) with a path to selection, running the script, then inverting the selection and running it again.

Have fun!

-Rob A>
    Wow. This could be cool. And I think, artistically speaking, I could imagine other uses beyond the mapping I wish to do with it - if I was inclined to be artistic with my computer.

I already bumped you with my little rep-stick upthread. Wish I could give you more, but I'll have to spread some love first. Thanks a bunch, I think you saved me a month of work!
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Great stuff as usual RobA!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Never able to leave "well enough" alone...

I've updated the script so it converts the path to a selection and tries to figure out "inside". If there are unclosed path segments, the endpoints are joined and that is "inside". If the path segment is perfectly straight and the software uses "down" as "inside". The script won't check that your stroke length stays inside... you will have to worry about that yourself

Here are the modes now offered (the faint red circles were added after to show the path location):

Name:	perpendicular_smudge_sample.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	753.3 KB 
ID:	10966

And attached is the updated script.

..And if someone can provide the scheme code to turn a 4 value array: (cons-array 4 'double) where it holds X1 Y1 X2 Y2 into a larger array with jittered intermediate points, i.e. X1 Y1 Xa Ya Xb Yb ... Xz Yz X2 Y2 then the strokes could jitter...

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast